Which is your Favourite Season?

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Every season - Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter - has its own special joys and challenges. My favourite has long been Spring because my much-loved BC native plants are in their glory then. Autumn has always been a source of beauty and a reminder that time has come for a rest. Winter, in its limited way, also has a certain loveliness to share.

I think we can all agree that this year particularly, Summer is proving a challenge. And a disappointment. How many gardeners who once called Summer their favourite season are having second thoughts this year? How can we justify using the amount of water necessary to keep many trees, shrubs and perennials alive? How can we protect them from unrelenting heat?

For those who enjoy Spring, Autumn and Winter seasons, it is easier when water is more plentiful to grow beautiful and exciting plants. How do those who love Summer maintain lovely gardens while dealing with severe water restrictions and desiccating heat?

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

This summer has been very nice, only more precipitation is expected. All melons, water melons, figs, pomegranates, mandarins, grapes, avocado, etc enjoying this warmth. I can't say, that there are severe water restrictions here, we have plenty of tap water to water all the garden, but it would be just costly. Earlier we used to plant a water pump into the ditch nearby, but now there are two households between our garden and the ditch, so it would be too much trouble.

The worst summer recently was 2019, when there was no month without night frosts.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Here in the Lower Mainland this summer has been hotter and drier than usual, but so far there are no watering restrictions other than the normal Stage 1. I just checked, and the reservoir levels are in the upper part of their normal range. Currently there are no restrictions regarding watering of edible crops, which is what I mainly grow; so, this has been the best summer growing weather that I have experienced during almost 50 years in this area. All of the warm weather crops are doing exceptionally well: best melon, pepper, and Santa Rosa plum crops ever. The only crop that is doing poorly in the heat is strawberries, probably because I didn't mulch them. And there is no sign of Late Blight in the tomatoes yet.

wcutler and Margot like this.
  4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Gosh that is a puzzle of a question

Yes, winter is often damp (a wee Scotch mist, as elder relative used to say — I assume speaking of rain!)

The concept of seasons - something bigger than us, seemingly the Earth’s dominant (and possibly harmful species, aside from bindweed!) is wondrous to me

I like having wonder - and seasons are definitely an inspiration for that

I recall a long time ago, I had a vintage 1930s copy of that English book that made the various seasonal plants in to “faeries”

I will have to look up name - Barker comes to mind.

So I think that’s why I like all the seasons - I spent hours as a child admiring all thé typically English paintings of each plant with a “faerie” wearing an outfit made of the leaves, petals, & fruit. One has to be of a certain heritage to understand anthropomorphising (spell?!) flora & fauna in Edwardian era clothing

Margot - thé short answer is yes all four and the shoulder transitions too

Margot likes this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yes, I like all seasons too and have long been grateful to live in a part of the world where there are four distinct seasons.

If you ask me which is my favourite though, it is definitely Spring! That's when all my most-loved plants bloom (BC native plants and rhododendrons) and before various pests descend to feast on the succulent leaves. Autumn is my second-favourite with its incredible colours and a certain wistful melancholy it evokes. Summer usually takes care of itself - except in a year like this when heat and water-deprivation lay so many beauties low. Winter . . . well, not much changes day to day in winter, does it?

So, @Georgia Strait - what's faerie to choose?

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I recall as a youngster being absolutely bedazzled by the beauty of the wild rose

A SUMMER faerie

The pink color of her outfit
    Her blond hair
    Rosy complexion
    Etc

Thé « Marcia Brady » of flower faeries!

Now of course I like the artwork in all of the paintings

And am drawn to the impish character faeries more so than Miss Wildrose :)

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.