General: Which Basils do you grow and how and why?

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by bob 2, Aug 20, 2009.

1. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

One of my favorite herbs for fresh salads and pestos is Basil.
    I really miss it when it’s not in there.

There are many different types of Basil and I wonder if any of you grow one or more types specifically for a dish or as an infusion?

In India they grow one they call Holy Basil or Tulsi reputed to have mystic properties ….yada yada yada. ;-)

The West Indies folks grow another variety with an entirely different top note.

Bob

2. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

We are growing both purple basil and sweet green basil. We like basil because it is versatile. We've used the green basil for homemade pizza, tomato sauce, pesto, soups, and more. We also like giving it away since it has grown into a bush.

Our purple basil didn't do well and is now gone. It seemed to be the favorite of some munching varmint, and also was much more sensitive to lack of water than the other basil. I'd like to grow it again next year but I'll do a better job watering it. I used purple basil to flavor many a meal, though we never used it for pesto. That would have been pretty, though.

3. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Purple basil
    I understand it's popular ingredient in Korean spring rolls.??

Bob

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i grow african blue basil i donot trim it so the leaves have very little purple/blue in them i grow them to bring in pollinators to my yard i grow mostly fruiting plants. this is one that does not die out if you let it keep flowering it will grow for a good number of years. but if you trim it the leaves stay dark blue almost purple. i need to try to get some more started from cuttings these donot seem to seed even though there are tons of pollinators all over the bloom spikes.it has a good smell when ya pull a leaf off and crush it . i use very few spices when i cook. usually just garlic salt and lemon pepper but should start using the basil

5. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

I grow sweet basil, and as far as a " proper " name goes, it says Ocimum basilicum on the container tab. ( whatever, it's all Latin to me ) I use it in my potato salads, cabbage salads and casseroles. It compliments cheddar cheese sauces. As well, it creates Heavenly fried mushrooms and/or onions, especially if you add a little heavy cream to them to thicken during the cooking. I grow my basil in a large pot, set on bricks for drainage, and placed in my South garden. Keep it pinched back and it will bush out. It's a wondrous herb, and I just LOVE it!

6. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

There is a new shrubby one from Burpee in California that I would like to try.
    Supposed to have similar flavour and aroma bu more compact like a boxwood.
    I am a basil addict. ;-)
    Mikey, do you know if this one (african blue basil) is regarded as a kitchen variety/ edible?

Bob

7. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

Hello again. I checked out African blue basil and it can be used for cooking, although it is more clove scented/flavoured than the sweet basil.

8. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Great, it should lend itself to some of my pork barbeque recipes then. I already use French tarragon for a bit of licorice flavour.

Thanks

Bob

9. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

yes it is defenately edible but i grow it more for bringing in pollinators every so often i do brush up against it with my hand and smell it not sure what foods it would be better used for i have not cooked with it.

10. Basil Lover

Basil Lover Member

I love sweet green basil and planted a whole packet of seeds so I could eat as much pesto as I desire. It's such an amazing herb and nothing defines late summer like the fragrace of basil. I need a more fertile plot though, as I just moved into a new house and the soil needs replacing or amending. It didn't grow quite as large as it should have.

For a twist, I use pistachio nuts in my pesto. Guess what's for dinner tonight!

11. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

I too am addicted to "Mrs. Polombo's" spaghetti sauce with loads of fresh herb and the last handful before serving- Basil.

12. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

I think next year I'm going to plant a variety of basil.... besides my fave sweet green. You people have expanded my basil fervour. Of course, that will have to wait 'cause our growing season is coming to an end. I could try growing it inside, but we have cats who love anything green and tender. Now, about pesto....? I've never had it but I've seen it before. Kind of a thick pasty topping for pasta? Seems to me sweet basil, fresh oregano ( which I grew last year and kicked myself for not doing the same this year ) and garlic would be awesome in something like that. I know this isn't a recipe site, but would someone send me a pesto recipe. Would love to try it. So, I'm off to do stuff, and too bad there aren't T shirts that say BASIL LOVER. I'd wear one.
    CU later..... Win

13. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

where do you find Mrs. Polombo's spaghetti sauce? I've never heard of it.

14. Basil Lover

Basil Lover Member

I don't know what Mrs Polombo's spag sauce is. However, for a pesto recipe look here:
    http://elise.com/recipes/archives/001329fresh_basil_pesto.php
    It looks similar to the type of pesto I make, but I use pistachio nuts in place of pine nuts and I like to add a splash of fresh lemon juice to it.

The trick with pesto is to keep tasting it and adding more of what you desire. I like lots of garlic and cheese, so I add more. There are many different consistencies as well, but the picture in this website looks more like what I am used to. Some add cream, water, bullion, etc. to thin out the consistency. Put in on freshly boiled pasta and add more cheese if desired. YUM!

15. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Mrs. Polombo lived next to my grandmother and like her had a huge garden
    With a family of 6, her recipes came from the garden.
    Before she died, my grandmother wrote Mrs. Polombo's recipe down for me.
    it has become a traditional harvest meal for us in our family every August-September.

I"ll see if I can find it on my computer and send it to you if you are interested.

Bob

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  16. Basil Lover

Basil Lover Member

Bob,

I would be interested in the recipe - just the way you describe it sounds yummy.
    Thanks

17. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

I think it's on one of my computers at work so I will get it tomorrow or I can type it from memory if worse comes to worst.

Cheers
    Bob

18. MrsGreenthumbs

MrsGreenthumbs Active Member

I grow sweet basil on the outside of my window ledge. I let it grow then cut it down and make Pesto! I've made it twice alredy this year. Yummy! :)

19. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

I grow holy basil. I grow it because it is HOLY and I also believe in all the medicinal properties of this plant that is mentioned everywhere. I also like to grow it because it is very finicky plant and not as easy to grow as regular basil.

20. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

That is so very interesting. I had never heard of holy basil ( Ocimum sanctum ) before, but I checked into it. Apparently there is a a Thai dish one can use it for, as a culinary herb, if so desired. You say it's finicky to grow, so are your plants container based? Edmonton's warm time is similar to ours in Ontario ...... short lived. In other words, must you bring it indoors? And, what does this miraculous herb require that makes it such a fussy pup to grow? What does it smell like? I'm asking so many questions because I wish to learn about it, and who is better qualified to answer such questions than you Chhaya, the grower. I look forward to your reply.

21. Chhaya

Chhaya Member

22. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

Thank you Chhaya. I shall check out the links. Much appreciated.

23. rainin

rainin Active Member

Although I always go to the sweet basil for cooking, I also like the lemon basil just for the smell. I have grown thai and purple basil just as an accent in my flower beds. The bees love it. I am planning a new herb garden in the spring just out side my kitchen and am thinking of using the purple basil as a back border along a fence.

24. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Tnanks ranin.
    I am leaning toward the standard green Ocimum basilicum as I seem to be able to grow it and unless there is a distinct culinary flavour from the other varieties I have no interest.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  25. rainin

rainin Active Member

I don't notice alot of difference in flavors except for maybe intensity. I do use the lemon basil when I cook fish. Butter, salt, orange juice, lemon juice and lemon basil makes a great marinade for fish to be grilled.