Where to get Palms and tropicals on Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by andypython, Sep 15, 2006.

1. andypython

andypython Member

Are there any nurseries on Vancouver Island that have a decent selection of Palms and tropicals?

Most places will have some, the usuals, but it seems pretty tough to find anything out of the ordinary. Any tips on where one might look would be great.

2. Garden_4_Fun

Garden_4_Fun Member

There's a place in Lantzville called Los Palmas...I think thats the right spelling...I haven't been there yet, but I've read that he has the best selection of palms in this area...Good Luck!

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

try foxglove farms on Saltspring ( I know, not on vancouver island but still...).

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

andypython,
    I may be able to help you. Do you have anything specific in mind or just curious?
    Cheers, LPN (Las Palmas Norte - Lantzville)

5. andypython

andypython Member

Are you open to visitors there in Lantzville? I have seen you posts often and searched and search for more info on the LAs Palmas Norte to no avail.

I am really just getting into this. I am looking for any hardy/mostly hardy palms other then t. fortuni(sp?) and Med fan palms.

Banana's other then basjoo.

6. LPN

andypython,
    I keep a low profile and fly under the radar. I assume (right or wrong) if people are serious about finding me, they will.
    If you're "really just getting into this" I don't recommend anything beyond what you've stricken from your list. Those are tried, tested and true palms & bananas for our area. I usually suggest a couple of years for folks to get comfortable with their new interest before seriously taking the next step ... "borderline palms".
    I'm not trying to blow you off, but it's a lot to chew if your "really just getting into this."
    If your interest demands a further look, e-mail ... laspalmasnorte at shaw dot ca.

Cheers and happy gardening, LPN (Las Palmas Norte)

7. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I don't know if I would recommend Foxglove here on Salt Spring, they don't take very good care of the plants. The only thing they have that is really good, is T. Fortunei palms, and thats because they come from Banana Joe, who lives here. LPN knows him also.
    You can buy online at www.tropic.ca
    also, I've had good luck with everything he's sent me. I will say you might want to get into tropicals slowly, especially with winter coming. Lots of stuff requires winter help. My place looks like a it has storage boxes everywhere when the frosts show up, tons of stuff needs the added protection.

8. andypython

andypython Member

I have caught the bug and I must say that I do have a hard time being patient, but this hobby does require that trait. I certainly do understand the need for winter protection. I am pretty well set up for winter already and have put alot of thought and research into what I will need to do for what I do have right now. My yard is quite large and I have a very understanding spouse, willing to placate my passions. I am really at this point thinking ahead to next year.

9. flipper83

flipper83 Member

There's also Tropi-Cole trading in Metchosin. His website is gone, but he's usually around on Saturday's and Sundays taking care of some different decent sized Palms. Take a drive down Metchosin Road close to the village. He's on the east side of the road. If you are in the lower Island, check the Times Colonist, he's usually got a Saturday ad.
    If anything, it's worth the drive, his place is pretty amazing. There's got to be at least 100 good sized palms there.

Ken

10. andypython

andypython Member

thanks, will have to drive by!

11. LPN

I highly recommend Larry Cole at Tropi-Cole Trading. He's has a straight forward approach, fair prices and the best selection of palms in British Columbia.
    (250)478-8996

Cheers, LPN.