British Columbia: Where to get and test soil in Lower Mainland BC

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by JWT, May 25, 2020.

1. JWT

JWT New Member

Fifteen years ago there was no issue getting really good/safe composted soil then then along came the green waste programs.

Three year ago I wanted to start a veg garden and after many phone calls I found a place that said they didn't use any green waste so I had 10 yards delivered.

The soil that was delivered looked great but after moving a couple of wheel barrows I found a tiny strip of plastic with some letters/numbers on it. A couple of shovel fulls later I found another so I went inside and did a search for the letter/numbers. I was shocked to find the strips were for Diabetes testing. The company came up with some excuses but in the end they took the soil away.

It is time to try again so today I called around to the places that sell "organic soil. It didn't go well. One person said they test the soil for Ph but then got irritated when I asked if they test for chemicals and metals. When I called a second place and asked what is in the soil they said "You can't know that" and hung up.

I called a garden center about the "Organic Garden Mix" they sell. They said organic means the soils has organic material in it......wouldn't that mean all soil is organic?

Where can a person buy clean soil in the Lower Mainland and where can it be tested?

Thank You
    JWT

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I can understand your concern about clean soil - it’s not cheap and once you’ve got it you are stuck with it

I am still pulling fireweed (pretty and hummingbirds like it but very invasive underground runner roots) out of my expensive delivered soil after a decade!

More recently I paid 600$ for soil with a distinct odour of hydraulic fluid - I still find that hard to forget!

So - I think if me, I would look in to brand name guaranteed bagged soil and ask for a bulk price (ie a discount if you buy more than X # of bags)

I have said elsewhere in this forum recently that I like Sea Soil made in BC (I don’t work there or own any shares!)

There are various types so make sure you specify

I see Arts Nursery offers volume discount
    Original Sea Soil - Bagged or Bulk @ Arts Nursery

Yes it might be expensive by comparison but over long term, you will be assured that you won’t find bits of head gasket (another bulk soil story!) etc

Tdub47 likes this.