Where to find Hedera Colchica 'Sulphur Heart' - Vancouver Area

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Gursk, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Gursk

Gursk Active Member

Hi there,

I have been looking to buy a hedera colchica 'Sulphur Heart'(sometimes called 'Paddy's Pride') to go in a particularly shady spot on my tiny condo patio. I fell in love with this plant when I saw it climbing up the drainpipe on a building in my neighbourhood. Anyone know where I can find one of these? Mandeville out in Burnaby has a HUGE one on a 6X6 trellis, much too large for both my space and my pocketbook.

Any tips for where to purchase this plant would be much appreciated. A local shop would be great, but mail order sources would also be helpful!

Thanks,

Wendy

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

On the American Ivy Society (AIS) web page, the society list suppliers of most all Ivy varieties. The AIS web page is www.Ivy.org where you can find a list of Ivy suppliers. Hedera Etc. in Lionville, PA. is a large grower shipper. The AIS has a large Canadian Ivy chapter in Toronto. As is commonly the case, you probably will have a hard time finding a Canadian supplier, and a hard time having plants shipped into Canada from the USA. The Toronto chapter, would be happy to assist you. - Millet

3. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

4. Gursk

Gursk Active Member

Thanks ashphaltandshade,

I've contacted many of those nurseries & none stock it. Art Knapp says they bring it in whenever it's available & David Hunter has me on their 'will call' list if they get any in stock.

Cheers!

5. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Would suggesting that you clip a cutting or two from the plants you mention be criminal?

6. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Figaro's Garden @ 1896 Victoria Drive has told me they will order plants in for me.

7. Gursk

Gursk Active Member

I'm thinking of contacting the strata of the building where they have a Sulphur Heart in the garden and requesting permission to take a cutting...