British Columbia: Where to buy cornus controversa variegata in Vancouver BC

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Justine M, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Hi,

I'm seriously considering this tree but heard that it can be expensive and that it's slow growing.

Wondering if you know of a seller of this tree, typical price and what kind of success you have seen for this tree in Vancouver area.

Thanks!
    Justine

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Justine, Have one doing well on a south slope, good soil, and late afternoon shade. Might try calling Gardenworks or possibly Southlands as a source. Somebody is propagating them locally I believe. Would try to pick one with an established leader. Quite a nice tree, looking good year round. The deer trimmed it one year. Would say moderate growing after it's established a couple of years, varies with the rainfall it seems, not fertilized. Blue berried in the fall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  3. chimera

It's about 6m H x 5m W. {18' H x 15' W} at about 16 years old.

4. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Thanks Chimera. I called Gardenworks and they said they should have them in a month. Thanks for the specs on the 16 year old one that you have. What do you have growing around it? I'm beginning to realize that it may be too big for my yard, sadly!

5. chimera

Yes, I'm not sure how large it will get either. The tree on the left was labeled Pinus heldreichii var. leucodermis 'Compact Gem' and centre is Cryptomeria japonica 'Sekkan-suji'. Maybe a little root competition from the pine I guess, not much to the right. Maybe you would find Cornus alternifolia 'Argentea' better, being smaller I understand.