British Columbia: Where can I find fruit trees in BC?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by strider3700, Nov 28, 2009.

1. strider3700

strider3700 Member

I'm looking to put about 20 fruit trees into my back yard, due to the number I was going to go with 1 year old bare root trees to keep costs reasonable. I'm not looking for anything rare or special, apple, pear, peach,plum, cherry... a few varieties of each if possible. The local nurseries now have their bare root trees in but everything is 2-3 years old and prices started at $27 for apples and went up from there. They had 1 type of 1 year old apple and it was priced exactly the same as the 3 year old trees. I won't be paying almost $30/tree so I've started hunting online.

I've found online nurseries in onterio that what I want roughly $10/tree plus shipping. I'm assuming similar should be available in BC. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Deep discounts are available at Nurseryland/Art Knapps/Arts/Mandeville/Southlands and any seasonal nursery... on the Island, I would go directly an orchardist say Merridale in Cobble Hill and ask for a few dozen on their next order...

3. galiano

galiano Active Member

Le Couteau Farms in Central Saanich

4. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

There is a long time grower on Hornby Island that provides our local nursery, Ken Dor in parksville with fruit trees of many varieties and including grafted specialty trees.
    Orders are taken thru the nursery.
    Perhaps you will be able to find a nursery more local to you that has contact with these growers.
    Sorry, I know not their name or if the sell from the farm.
    I bought a marvelous apple tree with 4 varieties of fruit on it that has done just great over the years - 20 yrs ago.

D