where can I buy Pacific Yew logs?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by KITTY YAN, Oct 1, 2007.

1. KITTY YAN

KITTY YAN Member

I am in Vancouver, I'd like to buy and export Pacific Yew Logs ,could you advise me form where and which company can I buy this species?

Your soonest reply would be highly appreciated.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

FWIW, you arent allowed to cut down a native yew in Vancouver according to the city bylaw. Most other cities inthe GVRD also have this clause I believe.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They would be coming out of forest lands, of course, and not municipalities. However, there may not be enough of them around, of commercial size for anyone to be offering them specifically, on a regular basis. Although some massive stems have occasionally been produced by this species, it may take centuries for one to do so. Most around now are small and skinny, tend to be concentrated in specific spots where soil conditions are favorable.

If you are in the business of exporting Canadian lumber or wish to be I'd think you'd have to explore commercial sources in order to get something put together.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Agree , hard to come by. Seen a house with the flooring done of Pacific yew wood, took a long time to accumulate the wood and a barge to transport it. Beautiful floor . Lately see it being used to make crib boards and small containers like jewelery boxes. Quite heavy wood being so dense.

5. Ron B

Key phrase might be "forest products", I suppose. Telephone directory listings, under appropriate category might get you started.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Might be better to look for Taxus baccata logs - this species could be invasive in the Vancouver region, and removing it would be beneficial, unlike with the endangered T. brevifolia.

7. KITTY YAN

KITTY YAN Member

Thanks to all of you!

8. Ron B

Yes, T. baccata reseeds in cultivation in this region but does not occur as a marketable timber in forest lands. I have not even seen substantial clumps or thickets of spontaneous specimens in cultivation here, unlike ivy, holly and laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). All T. baccata I can think of having see here that were anywhere big enough to make logs out of were planted specimens in parks and yards.

9. sprig45

sprig45 Member

What size log are you looking for, and what are you paying for Yew. I know someone who is in the business and may be able to help.

10. pamela777

pamela777 Member

I have a yew tree that has fallen over on my property and I an looking for a buyer. Please call Pam 503-429-0757

11. pamela777

pamela777 Member

I have a yew tree that has fallen on my property that I wish to sell. A pump from the river has been keeping it wet. 08/26/09 Call Pam 503-429-0757 or Jeff 503-530-0789

12. hicknagaman

hicknagaman Member

Contact Jessica @ Elk City Wood Prouducts Elk City Idaho phone number 208-842-2598
    or the address is p.o. box 498 Elk City Idaho 83525

They are currently looking for a market for pacific yew.

13. dee mac

dee mac New Member

call 5096807869 have what's left of yew wood bark biz that's recently retired