Where can I buy an Acer palmatum Taylor in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by BonsaiAndy, Mar 29, 2009.

1. BonsaiAndy

BonsaiAndy Member

I've been hunting for months trying to find an Acer Palmatum "Taylor" here in the U.S. I'm wanting one for a bonsai center piece. Anybody know of any to buy? Any help would be appreciated.

2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I'm on Diana's waiting list (Topiary Gardens).

Joyce

3. xman

xman Active Member

4. BonsaiAndy

BonsaiAndy Member

Thanks XMAN, I'll put that seller in my ebay saved sellers and keep an eye out for postings of Taylors.

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I got mine from Topiary Gardens - it was a huge 5ft. tall one and cost a fortune, but it was worth it!! Diana is a sweetheart and wonderful to work with.

Another pink variagate that I really like is Geisha Gone Wild. Sam at Eastfork Nursery can help you there.

6. BonsaiAndy

BonsaiAndy Member

Thanks for the input, I'm looking for one that's about 2-3yrs old. I'm sure yours did cost a fortune!!! They are pricey even if they are young grafts!

7. xman

xman Active Member

Kaitain4,

Does your Geisha Gone Wild retain its pink color? I bought an abigail rose that was pretty pink from Diana a couple of years ago, but since then the last couple of years I hardly get any pink at all. I think it has something to do with the TX weather, 2 Ukigumos that I got from her were almost white, and again over the last 2 years with me they are not showing any variegation. I have seen quite a few shirazz in TX nurseries that do not look as they should.
    I still have not figured out the reason for this. The only ones that do not seem to be affected are the butterfly maples.

xman

8. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

All my varigates tend to fade a bit as the summer wears on. Ukigomo had great variegation all summer long, but its not one with pink. Almost all the ones with pink have the pink turn to cream or just have spots of pink left. Asahi zuru had a lot of pink on it left. Taylor kept a lot of pink, too. A lot of leaves on it this spring are pure pink, so I'm hoping it does well. GGW - we'll see this year, as its my first year with it.

Also, I heard the variegates lose their varigation if they get a lot of fertilizer. For some reason poor soil helps them stay variegated. Not sire if that a wives tale or the truth. You might try cutting back on the fert.

9. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

xman, I agree with Kaitain's comments above except I did not know that about fertilizer. My variegates fade later in summer vitiated by the heat. Check my '2009 variegates' thread because
    the 'reversibles' can miss a year or 2 variegation and then come storming back with blazing color
    like this Spring. I have 2 mature 'Ukigumo's' - one has great variegation every year year-in-and-year-out and another that did not variegate for 2 consecutive years and then had a stunner year.