When to plant seedlings in permanent growing position

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by vicarious1, May 15, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello.. Tis is a sample picture of the status of my veggies seedlings . Mainly 2 different types of Kale the curly one and anther one and several lettuces and green and red swiis chard. We are in Vancouver and get about 4-5 hrs sun per day. Last year all grew well but from nursery plants.. We have some already growing now from nursery.
    I have MANY SEEDLINGS at this stage, about 12 trays filled with the usual 12 or 24 trays ... I now only realize its too much. How much more time must I wait before planting them into the ground. Must I wait till they have the size of lettuce trays in the nursery or must I plant them earlier? How do I know which ones are the strongest .Some are growing at this size in clumps should I separate them now and replant them at a mini distance in the small trays or let them grow and then separate them only when they go to the final place where they will grow .
    Regards Vic

Attached Files:

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yeah, let them grow a bit more in the seed trays, and then put them in the ground, in their home positions, later. If you're all done with frost, you can even leave the seed trays outside - maybe they are already.

You could plant them in the garden now, but the biggest worry, is that they are so tiny, they could get trampled by animals, or even beaten down by winds and weather. If you keep them in the seeds trays for now, they will still be growing, but you can move the trays to protect your little seedlings from harmful weather, if it hits. You cannot do this when they are in the garden, and when they are small, they are fragile.

It is still early yet, so not to worry. As long as things are growing, you've got no concerns. Like I said though, if you really have your heart set on putting them out now, go right ahead, but just be prepared that you could lose some. Make sure you're done with frost too, although Kale can handle a bit of frost, and even snow!

you'll know which seedlings are the strongest, by appearance. The fast growing, tallest, most developed ones, should be the ones you keep and plant out. Yes, thin the seedlings now, to one plant per cell pack.

Don't worry - things will be just fine. Everything looks great! You did a good job.

: )))

3. The Hollyberry Lady

On second thought - your cell packs are quite big, so you might get away with 2-4 plants per pack. Make sure you position them away from each other though, so the roots have room to really take off. If not, the growth will be slow. You will notice faster growth when you remove those excess seedlings.

:)

4. vicarious1

thanks they are OUT since the seeding already. I keept them in the daylight shade under a big GAZEBO where we notrmally eat when the weather is nice they get 2-3 hours sunshine . I have green houses in plastic for the growing where the nursery veggies are growing now +- 3-4inches . They will be big enough to take the green houses away and use them for the new seedlings but I rather wait till they are bigger. Thanks for your compliments this is my 2nd growing season since arriving in Canada from South Africa where everything grows like mad. Frost is sure gone for over a month already. I also have a broccoli that went into more flowers than leaves ... what to do with that . they were planted last year did not grow and now grew by themselves this spring. I have 6 Brocoli from West Coast seeds only ONE made all these flowers..

5. vicarious1

Thank you so much .. Do I replant them deeper in the earth? The stems look very fragil and thinn. ? Do I handle them with the fingers or with a like a stamp stweek, to hold them ? thanks for your time. XXX Vic ..

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Now more than ever, it sounds like things will be just fine! You very welcome for the compliments.

Oh wow - I order from west coast seeds too! I got some of their 'vanilla' white marigold seeds, among others.

Neat, Africa! I sponsor a little girl there - in Mombasa. I'm sure everything does grow like crazy there!

Great that your seedlings ae off to a great start. Good luck with them...

: }

7. vicarious1

I just read your profile. I collected seeds from RED BARON they make nice dark leaves and like bushes . Do you know it can still plant these seeds now to grow this plants. ( I bough the original in a nursery last year for 19.99 and thought why not grow myself. I can't grow inside the house PRE spring no space for that. I also collected seeds from some aquatic leafy plants but can't find anyone to advise me how to grow them . Must they be in earth submerged under water or must they grow like normal seedlings ? Do you know . I have three branches of GOJI Berries growing I got from a freind from Kewlona...:-) you must love those no ?

8. The Hollyberry Lady

You gotta get yourself some starter fertilizer - or give them a weak soution of fertilizer you already have. The stems are thin because there's too many seedlings competing for root room, so they don't get a chance to thicken up.

Also, people sometimes forget to feed their seedlings, and this is why they can be spindly and leggy. Seedlings sown directly in the garden, are normally much thicker because of all the nutrients in the earth, which makes them robust.

Yes, you could plant them a bit deeper, although some plants will die when not kept at the same soil level, when transplanted. I have grown swiss chard and kale in both containers and in the garden -they will not die if you plant them a bit deeper than they were before. Just be sure not to bury the centers where the leaves sprout from.

: )

9. vicarious1

I planted the mix of Marie Gold same day as lettuce etc but NOTHING showing yet. I have a 17 year old adopted African South African daughter she lived with me and my partner for 10 years.. and her granny. Yea http://www.flickr.com/photos/vicarious1 that how things grow there on 2000m2 garden and 7000sq feet home and all for 300K US $ only :-( cant get you a garage in this country my mail is vstapelbca at gmail dot com. Thanks my photos are www.visualsenses.smugmug.com xxx Vic

10. vicarious1

I have liquid organic fertilizer but I was weary to put it on seedlings I though they might burn as how much is to much for seedling :-) as all these bottles etc tell you how much per L but I gues that for normally plants. Can I fertilise now the nursery ones that are 3-4 inches tall ?

11. vicarious1

HEre are my green houses and the veggies a few weeks ago my rockery and the home grown KALE ( 61 plants I found on an empty plot 2 month ago ) and a flower you may or may not know called DIAMOND FROST the DycKHOF nursery sells here in Vancouver its VERY VERY pretty in baskets. tiny white petals not bigger than fly wings but many many of them ..I hope you can get them there.

Attached Files:

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - those pics were stunning! Thanks for sharing.

I grow nelumbo (lotus) from seed, and it began in water right from the start. You should google and research your aquatic plant because my experience with them is very limited. Don't know much about goji berries either, but they sound unique - I have heard of them though. Your seeds sound cool - are you implying we should do a seed trade? I would not be opposed to it, if so. Sounds like you have some cool stuff. Those red barrons sound nice too. I'd love to have some of those leafy aquatic seeds too.

Let me know what you are interested in from me - check out my 'seeds you have, and seeds you want thread, in the 'trade' section, to see what I have available. If I have misundersood however, it's ok. I am not in need of seeds, that's for sure - just want!!!

Yes, give your seedlings a very weak solution - less is best. I cannot advise you on exactly how much unless I see the directions. Just make it very weak. Like if it says mix one Tblsp per 1 litre for mature plants, then mix 1/4 tsp or even a bit less per 1 litre, for seedlings. Make sense?

: ]

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Just saw the second pics now! You know what you're doing, that's for sure! That flowering hanging basket plant sounds lovely!

I have to go check 9 other ubc messages for a bit - wow that's a lot of replies!

: O

Chat soon...

14. vicarious1

I'd gladly put some seeds in an envelope and mail to you from what I have...its nothing phenomenal. Just trying to see if I can beat these expenses at the nursery. Anything and nothing is under 9.99 or 14.99 or 29.99 that took me the 1st year to an astronomical number of shopping at nurseries.. I am trying to grown some tricolor grass VERY PRETTY but the seeds have not done anything yet got a bit left ..but the clumps multiply well ..
    never looked at the seed trading section must check it out :-)...bye4now thanks again

15. The Hollyberry Lady

I'm back - most messages didn't require too much of my attention, and 5 of them were just yours, that I had already read!

You know, your greenhouses are really great! So are all your beautiful plants and surroundings. You have a great greenthumb. Thank you for sharing your pics!

Here's a photo of my blooming white marigold from 'west coast seeds'. Isn't it gorgeous?!!!...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  16. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my good Lord yes - the nurseries will take you to the cleaners! Besides seed grown plants are far cheaper, and far more superior than sometimes root bound, pest infested things from the nursery! I have been growing from seed since I very first got into plants - 6 years ago.

By the way - I have seeds for a perennial ornamental grass, called 'stipa pony tails' - your grass sounds pretty too.

You could definitely say that I am a 'seedaholic'!!!!!

Yes, I will PM ya tomorrow, and we can work out a trade. So much fun!

17. vicarious1

Your grass looks AB FAB ..I definitly would like to grow this I have a lovely yellow grass in the rockery it made tiny flowers on long stems but I dont know how and when to collect the seeds I think the flowers are dry now .. I can send you some MACRO photos .. my grass is VERY WHITE http://plants.johnsgardencentre.ca/NetPS-Engine.asp?CCID=11030001&page=pdp&PID=2980 I grew two clumps from 9.99 pots and made a small hedge of 4m long this year and still have 2 pots ..I love you lilies http://www.wilsonbrosnursery.com/Tricyrtis_Miyazak_toad_lily.jpg so devine I have a lovely mini SHADE garden I just made a few weeks ago for the hostas etc. I am just batteling with Bamboo got so much black bamboo from my neigbourh 5 hours digging branches up to 6meters but most are NOT doing well very dry leaves they only look better when it rains which keeps my hopes up ( I made MANY posts about it) Now they are out of the pots and in the earth in front of the house or in huge 40cm pot sunken into big planters ALL RECYCLED from www.myfreecycle.org i PRAY they will survive somehow ...otherwise how can they turn green after one night of rain ... I I plant grass seeds now will it still grow this year . I planted 4 PAMAP and only one survived and only has 3 leaves now 5" tall :-) snif snif.. Forgot to say the marygold are pretty but the smell haha I plant them under the tomatos to keep away the unfriendly visitors and it seems to work .. I just dont knwo why my seeds are doing nothing how many hours DIRECT sun do they need maybe shade is not good for seeds to sprout ? I am planning on a biggers greehouse on an upper terrace where i moved a fence .. If you ever come here PLEASE VISIT!! :-) My partner Michael and I Victor would be delighted !

18. vicarious1

I'd love the grass in the pots on top of the wall or in the white planters here are some pics of the tricolor grass and the way I grow the seedlings and my shade garden :-)

Attached Files:

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - thank you for the invitaion to visit! So nice of you. The last time I was out to B.C. was 10 years ago now. My uncle still lives there, but he comes to Ontario to visit us here! I may get out that way again sometime in the future - so beautiful. I will definitely look you guys up, if I am ever in the area. Your set-up is so lovely, there. You have really made a nice spot for yourselves.

These white marigolds are odorless! They are so beautiful when in full bloom, you won't believe! They are one of my top 5 favorite plants. I have started a thread solely about them, this is how enthusiastic I am.

Do you have toad lily seeds? That pic of that pinkish colored one is the exact one I am looking for! OMG - I wold die to have it! I have toad lily seeds, but they are whites, mauves, and purples. Beautiful, but I love pinks and raspberry colors too.

Also too, that white grass is stunning! I will definitely send ya seeds for 'stipa pony tails' Yes, it will grow now, and it will come back every year for you too - each year more gorgeous than the last! You will be happy. I may have another ornamental grass for ya too - have to check supplies. I am spending Monday, getting seeds ready for people, so I can mail yours off by then too!

Thanks again for your lovely pics.

: ))))

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  20. vicarious1

Good morning. It all sounds nice..What do toad lily like sun or shade? How tall are they ? Are they as bushy as the day lilies? I have spots for both conditions:-). I don't mind white and mauve. I can make an envelope for you too by monday Ohh the grass sounds great...how long for seeds to sprout mine have not done anything yet. Do they go IN the earth or on top only ? My two pots in front are 2 x 2 x by nearly two feet as they are slightly tapered they are resine ( concrete look a like) my first try in south africa in a course..but its very messy so I never made others ..I want to repaint all my concrete pot in RUST color ..I have these 5 very heavy planters all the way up each is like 100kg + the earth & tree :-) no one runs away with them :-) I have heard of people raiding front gardens here in VC at night .. sad :-(. I love gardening it keeps me sain ..although here I do all myself in Souht Africa I had the help of a lovely full time gardener. We had 3 leveled koi, 1 duck , 1 tutle pond 5 dogs 2 cats 30 koins 2 birds ...a real zoo here one cat only and one we are getting in 2 weeks that was born in our garden swing of a homeless mom ...with 3 other kittens :-) we call her BEAU to give Obamas dog a run for his name haha. Do you like pets ?

21. vicarious1

Do you have a lotus seed ? We have a mini pond and ONE gold fish :-) 3cm ..or will he eat the seed ? My partner is Chinese and loves Lotus me too I have some nice LOTUS pics from m neighbors pond...but he does not like to share those but got my bamboo from him :-)...he also has water lillies with tall green leaves and tall blue and yellow flowers ...http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/7358614_JFzvJ#473648556_674Zv and here pics of our Passion fruit last year http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/7358936_eKUhS#472875892_32Hfm sad it died . Look around many more galleries of flowers of all types I also have the latest of UBC gardens last week i did put up the URL last week in a post in case anyone wanted to see. bye for now NO rain so off to some more gardening am ttrying to make as short natural look a like mountain path 3m long steep up with grass and pebbles in front all recycled, to clear an UUUgly corner where they neighbor dumped building stuff years ago and its just a mess with weeds..it's one of my lasts on this list I am sure there will be another one next week haha.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my gosh your neighbours lotus is gorgeous! It's crying shame he wouldn't share the seeds, because they are plentiful inside of the very ornamental seed pods! I am extremely low on Nelumbo seed suppy and only really have one seed to share at present. I was hoping to use it to trade someone for one of their varieties as well. I have a yellow, cream, and white variety, but want pink.

Wow - your passion flower is awesome! Too bad it died. I am growing the exact same one this year, from seed! I don't have any extras right now though, as they were from a trade.

Yes, I have pets - see the new 'Hollyberry Lady' thread that someone started about me, and you'll see pics of my little bird boy.

Here is a pic of my indoor living room window setup. You can see my passion flower vine growing up the green stick! I am waiting to put it out in a few days!

Also, that's my nelumbo growing in a container pond - I have more pics posted in a nelumbo thread...

Attached Files:

• 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      201.1 KB
      Views:
  23. MADinfant

MADinfant Member

Novice vegetable gardener here who made the mistake of putting my seedlings out to early. I agree with the previous post. Let them run a little while. I have heard that you should at the very minimum let seedlings get a second set of leaves before planting them outside. An even bigger mistake I made this year was not putting the plants out too early, but not weathering them before I put them in their permanent place. Because my seedlings were grown inside near a window, they were not exposed to the wind which made them extremely delicate. Several stalks broke the first day because we live in an extremely windy part of North Carolina. My advice is to expose them to the outdoors and various weather conditions in doses. It seems though that you are already doing this. I hope to see some further posts; I'm curious to hear about gardening in a place that has such extremely different weather conditions.

Good Luck!

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Excellent information MADinfant! Very accurate!

Yes, you should wait until at least the 1st set of true leaves has developed, before moving the seedlings. It is true as well, about the 'hardening off' process you referred to, in describing giving outside sessions in small doses. They can experience wind and sunburn, wilt, and even fall over dead, if they were not raised outside from the start, and then just instantly and permanently plopped outside!

Very good advice. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, and welcome to the thread.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

How To Grow Toad lilies