Propagation: When to plant rooted cuttings (root length question)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by frauleinlayla, Dec 3, 2008.

1. frauleinlayla

frauleinlayla Active Member

I have cuttings from two different plants for you to look at, and if you can tell me whether they are even close to ready for potting, that would be awesome!

A few weeks ago I started this thread

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=46325

about my two sad, little Dieffenbachias. I'm sad to report that, even though I tried to fight the root rot as best as I could, I finally accepted the fact that all I could do was take as many cuttings as I can. Now, impatient as I was, I stuck one of them in rooting hormone first, and that one readity started rooting within days! The picture on the left shows the roots now, after a couple of weeks or so (it was one of the first cuttings I took). There are four roots, and they're about a quarter inch each. My guess is gonna be that they're not long enough to be potted. How long do you think the oots should get before I pot the cuttings in soil?

Also, I'm guessing I can't just stick them straight in the soil? They seems really fragile. What do I do?

And while I'm at it, have a picture of another cutting. It's been previously identified as possibly being a Goldfish Plant, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Anyway, how do those roots look to you? How much longer do they need to get?

Thanks for any help!!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I say go for it, goldfish-wise. As for the Dieffs..fair bet either way. You could wait a bit longer, or do 'em now---since you're gonna have the potting soil and stuff all out for the goldfish anyway! I have found that my D. cuttings have been pretty vigorous. ---Or, pot one and leave one in water. (Sorry. I'm a Libra.)---Yes, the roots are young and fragile-just be gentle and take your time. Sift the soil in slowly and tap the pot to shake down/firm up soil.

3. frauleinlayla

frauleinlayla Active Member

Thank you!!! I just really wanted an answer... I was afraid someone would go, "Noooo, those roots are way too tiny! Hehe. So now I'm reassured. And I have about 8 cuttings of the dieff (but only the one has the bigger roots so far), so I guess there's room for experiments. =)