What's wrong with Zebrina?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Ilona, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Ilona

Ilona Member

I am a relatively new houseplant enthusiast. I recently acquired a number of plants, all of which are flourishing except for the Tradescantia Zebrina I purchased at Home Depot a few weeks ago. It looked very healthy in the store. Within 24-36 hours of purchase, it started looking...unhappy. The leaves aren't terribly dry, but many have a slight ripple and the very tip of the leaf curls in. Some of the leaves were brown-edged. I thought this might be due to too humid/ hot an environment so I moved it to a brighter, not-so-hot environment and have been misting it and watering when the soil gets dry. I pinched off the bad leaves. Although not the entire plant is affected, some of the leaves still look not-100 percent healthy. I did the spider-mite test, but I do not think this is an insect problem.

Am I just expecting my plant to be too perfect? Do Zebrina leaves get funky or should a healthy plant have all smooth leaves?
    Also, how simple is rooting a cutting of this in water, or should I root it in soil from the start?
    Thanks!

2. lslou

lslou Member

Incredibly easy to root, either in water (just romove the lower leaves at the nodes and leave a few leaves at the top of the cuttings , probably a couple of inches long)
    I know that our trads have always been kept in the north facing living room and they are fine, they sould like they have been fried maybe move to a shadier area while it recovers then move to a lighter position, we also have in a south facing window, don't let them dry out though they will wilt.

Lou
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dia.smith/index.html

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years