British Columbia: what's wrong with my rosemary

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tivel08, Apr 8, 2013.

1. tivel08

tivel08 Member

I have had this rosemary for a couple of years now. It was fine over the winter one year though it may have gotten too much rain and the leaves turned red and silvery looking (see attached pic). Last spring I re-potted it and it perked up a bit. I also removed it from under direct rain but it still seems red, droopy and sad. I have a smaller rosemary bought last year right beside it and it looks perky and happy.

How can I revive it? Help please!!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Root rot? Bugs? Your best bet would be to discard it, start over with a healthy specimen in fresh soil in a clean pot.

3. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Was afraid of that. Thanks Ron....

4. Ron B

If you are wanting to grow this outside choose one of the more hardy cultivars, many forms are tender. And plant it in the ground, plants in pots are much more prone to cold.

5. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Thanks Ron. What would be a cultivar you would recommend? I live in North Vancouver and my patio is protected enough that my thyme, oregano and even parsley survives the winter. Would appreciate your advise. the patio faces south east

6. Ron B

Those are hardier. I would just look at the selection at local outlets, see what the tags say about hardiness. If you go to an independent garden center you should also be able to ask for guidance - with some time other than Saturday afternoon during spring being best for getting someone's attention.

7. addypalmer

addypalmer Active Member

Home depot has cheap big cold hardy rosemary that they leave out all winter, the one on terminal in Vancouver should still have them for about 7 or 8 dollars

8. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Thanks AddyPalmer. I will watch out for it