What's wrong with my red maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tdestunis, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tdestunis

tdestunis New Member

Hi there, I planted this maple a couple of months ago and I noticed the leaves seem to be being eaten? Lots of brown around the edges and one branch near the top has dried out!
    [​IMG]

And this

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated! I don't want to loose it!

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Personally I don't think you need to worry. This looks like standard first-year-summer-stress to me, especially normal since it looks like the new tree gets a lot of sun. Make sure the soil doesn't dry out too much. Red maples like a lot of water. It wont look like much this fall or for the rest of the summer, but next year should be OK.

You might want to get some mulch down around the roots. Keep it a few inches from the trunk, though.

-E

3. tdestunis

tdestunis New Member

Thank you for the encouragement! Now the tree came from a nursery and when I picked it up it was in a plastic pot, should I have cut the roots and spread them out before planting because I did not do that. I made the hole twice as big. Mix forestry compost and existing clayish soil and put a bit of this mycorrhizae stuff with it. I might not be watering enough though!

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think you did the right things except spreading out the roots. There are a few reasons to do this, firstly it helps get the tree established, but also eventually girdling roots can be a serious problem as the tree grows larger. So personally I would wait until it has dropped its leaves, then pull it, spread the roots out, and replant with a little more mycorrhizae.

I'm a very convinced user of mycorrhizae, I have observed in pots that it helps root mass very much.

As for watering, yes Red Maple does like a lot of water, so I don't think you can easily over do it. Remember it's called the Swamp Maple... ;)

-E