What's wrong with my plants?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by enaid, Aug 11, 2014.

1. enaid

enaid Member

Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in trying to upload photos, so I hope my description will suffice.
    The leaves start with small brown spots, then the leaf turns yellow then gradually rusty brown, then the whole stem dies.
    I have a very extensive garden but only a few plant species are affected. They are not planted close to each other and I haven't seen any insects on the plants. They include - quince, hellebores, tomatoes, and an oak-leaf mountain ash tree.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

*bump* on behalf of original poster, now that image is attached

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Tomato leaf looks like may be affected by early blight.

4. enaid

enaid Member

Thanks for this Sundrop. We have had an exceptionally wet Spring and Summer.
    Strangely, this is the first time in years that I have not used my own tomato seeds from the previous year's tomatoes but bought plants from a local nursery. I have always had healthy plants so have never come across tomato blight so didn't recognize it. I presume it spreads with the wind and rain resulting in other plants being infected. Fortunately, the fruit isn't infected (washed thoroughly before eating). Any loss due to the little critters that roam my garden!
    I have been gardening for more than forty years and am not a professional and certainly don't profess to know everything so it is always beneficial to have one's knowledge expanded, even a little.
    Once again, many thanks.