What's this interesting plant, please?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by moth, Sep 28, 2003.

1. moth

moth Member

My wife and I recently picked up this strange plant as something of a bargain but can find it in no reference work, nor do any of our gardening friends know what it is.

The stem is very dark purple, almost black.
    As my wife is a childminder we have concerns over toxicity (although even kids would surely not eat something that ugly!)
    We also would like to know something about the care of the plant, propogation, wintering, (we can get occasional but severe frosts here) and soil requirements.
    Thanks in advance.

From left to right: the flower, the flower on the previous day, the fruit, the leaf

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2003
  2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like a Datura (syn. Brugmansia) but I can't figure out exactly which. Jimson weed is a common name for the plant in North America, the seed pods are poisonous as are all other parts of the plant. as little as 1/5 oz (4-5gm) of seeds or leaves can be fatal for a child.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's possibly Datura stramonium var. inermis, but I'm not finding that much on the web to verify.

4. moth

moth Member

Thanks for the information. I'll look up Datura on some other sites and then make a decision, but it looks like the plant buys the farm! At least it didn't cost a lot.
    Thanks again.