Identification: what's this "alien" fungus in my mulch?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Michele E., Oct 5, 2006.

1. Michele E.

Michele E. Member

What are these things? Sorry I don't have a photo, but I can describe them well enough. First off, I'd noticed a very distinctive, strong "mushroom" smell outside my windows. So strong, in fact, that the smell was literally unbearable to deal with and I had to close my windows. The fungus/mushroom like growth that is emitting these horrible odors are like nothing I've ever seen before. The stalks are yellowish in color, growing out of the ground/mulch from egg-shaped bases that are covered with a membrane-like casing that is beige with a crackled appearance that resembles brain matter. The casing easily slips away, uncovering a slimy yellow "bulb" of sorts. The stalks are approximately 4-6 inches high and 1/2" to 1" in diameter. They are capped by a close fitting olive/army green head with a small oval shaped -opening at the center of the cap that is rimmed like a small mouth in yellow. I believe that the odor is actually released through this opening. They are really ugly looking and I have bagged them up and thrown them out. But, what are they?? I've never seen anything like them before. Will they continue to come back and how can I get rid of them for good?

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Definetly a stink horn. Browse through this STINKHORN search to see which species you might have. http://images.google.com/images?sou...LR:2006-25,GGLR:en&q="stink horn"&sa=N&tab=wi

Previous people on this board have dumped ammonia on their lawn to kill the mycelium and the mushrooms, and claimed that this worked. I imagine it killed damn near anything else and might not be quite dog or kid friendly, either, and of course i don't recommend it. If you need to take care of them, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a Fungicide in a little spray bottle.

Give us an update & good luck ...

3. Michele E.

Michele E. Member

Thanks, MycoRob. That's definitely right on. The link was a great help. I have the version shown in the 9th photo. I also apparently have the tentacled version. Time for a trip to Home Depot. Just glad to know they're not from outer space!

4. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member