What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Rising Contributor

I guess we are very lucky here then, as we draw from the Shuswap lake, which has over 900 miles of shoreline, and it's very deep in the middle. I'm not aware that we have had any water restrictions here, but we sure do have burning restrictions! Our forest fire rating is extreme now, and will very likely stay that way until the end of September and possibly beyond.

AlainK likes this.
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't use hosepipes for watering but if I did we are OK in my water authority region as Anglian Water has not introduced any bans, does not intend to, and seems better prepared for coping with drought than some of the other regions. Their spokespeople are advising people to take care and not use water willy nilly, but no restrictions and boasting that their reservoirs are still 80% full. If we have a dry winter they might be screwed for next year, but as things stand it seems that they have done their job right. Unlike some of the other regions if the pictures of empty reservoirs and abandoned flooded villages resurfacing are anything to go by...

3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

We had 70mm yesterday..I live near East Hunsbury

AlainK likes this.
  4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I didn't leave anything out to measure it, but I would imagine we had as much, if not more, most of it in the space of an hour. It was biblical for a time. Some streets in our town were flooded out, as the water accumulated in valleys.
    Flooding hits Kettering homes as heatwave ends with torrential rain

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

We only had some 30 mm of rain since the beginning of July, and we're the 17th of August. Only 1 or 2 mm between Sunday night and yesterday afternoon. I heard the thunder in the distance, but it was futher north. I saw videos of some Métro stations in Paris where water was cascading down the stairs, and hailstorms in the south. I'm in the northwest quarter of the departement (shire, county), one of the very few which is white on the maps of water restrictions.

The situation will be worse in the coming two weeks, very little, if no rain (here). I've never seen the Loire so low at this time of year.
    There are Nuclear plants in the Rhone valley, if it goes on like that, will there be enough water to cool the reactors ? Well, on dry soil, the water causes floodings, let's hope the water will go to the rivers.

I heard today that the price of gas is rocketting : the Rhine is too low for longboats to carry the coal or fuel-oil necessary to operate the thermic plants. So they need more Russian gas to produce electricity.

As for forest fires, it's the worst year since... Fortunately, European fire brigades came to the rescue, like the French did last year for Greece or Portugal. Some are thinking about a European joint task force. Sharing the resources, including buying material, would benefit each memeber one day or another. They could also intervene in winter in the southern hemisphere, not only for fires but also for floodings, typhoons, et.

I like the idea. Thanks Europe. As the Belgian motto goes : "L'Union fait la Force".

maf likes this.
  6. AlainK

A poor sight indeed. But it could be worse.

There was a sudden flooding in Marseille last year. That was after weeks of strike by the local garbage collectors (1). All the contents of heaps of garbage was washed to the sea, the townspeople collected them for days if not weeks on the beaches. Not to mention the pollution, plastic particles, etc.

(1) Er... No further comment. The history, and politics in Marseille needs at least a Bachelor's degree to understand. It's a bit like Napoli or Palermo, or other Mediterranean islands : when you don't-a-have the local accent, you can't-a-really understand. ;-)

Margot, Keith Elliott and maf like this.
  7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

70 mm! My goodness. We got a bit more than Alain, 10mm, but all told just really enough to wet the surface. It's still so drastic. Saw today that a venerable and huge Berberis darwinii is completely brown. Who heard of a thug like that dying? Well, maybe it will survive, I don't know. Even Sorbus have denuded, and JMs growing near hedges are either covered with brown leaves, or naked. I don't expect much autumn colors.

We watched the radars as the storms swept across England though, it looked glorious!

Last night we heard thunder and so looked at the radar, it looked like a big system heading for us, but it split, then curved back around and recombined to the north. A town perhaps 15 km north got massive rain for a 1/2 hour, we got not a drop.

No water restrictions, but too much garden to water it all. I will go and water pots now, though!

AlainK, maf and Margot like this.
  8. AlainK

It rained at last!

Not that much, a first shower of drizzling rain that lasted for about 10 minutes, then half an hour later, a stronger one. All in all, about 2 or 3 mm. I thought I could skip watering tomorrow, but I checked the soil in my vegetable patch, it's dry after 2 mm.

I miss the rainstorms when I was kid, in "Massif Central", the thunder rolling, echoeing around the mountains (My Mum said "It's Little Jesus playing marbles"), the smell of hay in the rain, and we would go picking snails by the railway tracks for the Sunday lunch, at a time when nettles were not eradicated by chemical weed killers.

Those were the days...

50 years earlier, a French version of an international hit. Sexy, isn't it ? <LOL>

The best verse of this "scie" (litt. "a saw", a silly melody that sticks iprobably obsolete,n your head, on and on...) Rather poetic, and I like the use of "de guingois", syn. "de travers", but so poetic, so much more evocative.

"...et comme pour quelqu'un dont les souliers sont trop étroits
    Tout va de guingois..."

maf likes this.