What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Hard to say Derek. The current forecast for the next week only shows a high of 37º, but it is climbing all week long. I expect that we won't get the really hot days until some time in August, given that summer didn't arrive here until this month.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

37°c is hot in my books. But if you say August will be hotter, then my thoughts are with you there in BC Keith.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

More or less going by our past history here. Sad to say that Lytton has had a fire burning about 1.7 kms away from the actual town. You may recall that Lytton basically got burned to the ground last year when they set all time high records. They can't seem to catch a break over there.
    It is a delightful 22ºC here this morning with a gentle breeze coming up off the lake. Couldn't be much nicer!
    But not to worry, we'll be in the mid 30's by later this afternoon!

Margot likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Some very disturbing fires over here due to the heat. Lots of houses destroyed, so must not go on about a few crispy leaves.
    Sounds like a perfect Summer morning for you and Val, hope it doesn't get too hot for you this afternoon. So enjoy while you can.

Margot likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

6. Keith Elliott

Drove down to the coast (Vancouver) this past weekend, and while I thankfully did not see a single forest fire burning, the evidence from last years' fires was everywhere. Many miles of standing burned tree trunks and in some cases piles of such trees where they had cut everything down. Not sure if they are worth turning into lumber or not, but usually the bark does a creditable job of protecting the wood itself.
    But we are threatened with another heat dome this week in the southern half of B.C. Typical highs predicted to be between 35º and 40ºC. We are usually a few degrees above that right here due to our local mini-climate.

7. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

very very hot here this week, reached 38C here in chilliwack, over 40C with humidity added. Another 3 days of this. Good thing we are early birds, up by 5 am for a river walk, then any gardening done by 9 am for the day.
    Also, mosquito's are at an all time high due to the very wet spring and resulting high water levels.
    Clear skies though with no smoke!

AlainK and Keith Elliott like this.
  8. Keith Elliott

Same here Otto. Skies are lovely and clear, which also means we will be cooking this week. But a possibility of a shower next Tuesday and high of only 26º. That will feel like we are freezing!
    We have been trying to find enough fabric to protect the tomatoes from the direct sun, as it is usually well above 50ºC without any shade.
    Not much in the way of mozzies yet, but I'm sure they will find us soon enough.

AlainK and Otto Bjornson like this.
  9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Lol, our low this morning was 9.8C! Very nice for sleeping. Rain sounds good though, still none in site, and a month of July with a really miserable drought: as of today, the month's total evapotranspiration is 127.03 mm; total rain is 1.2mm! That's dusty.

I've been doing some deep watering, Some Chinese poplars and birches are pretty much defoliated. Not to mention some of the maples, although well established trees are mostly resisting. I watered a Cornus kousa that has hardly any leaves that aren't completely dry. The C. florida right next to it is fine, though! Go figure.

ROEBUK, AlainK and Keith Elliott like this.
  10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well now that the British summer is over came and went last week , a lovely 48 hrs was had by all in the north !! Actually haven't watered anything for the past four days we have had some cracking rain fall since Saturday and the proceeding few days after , all the ground trees are looking well refreshed , a few crispy leaves on the potted ones but they will get over it and bounce back for next year. Actually had the gas fire on yesterday was quite chilly and to think a week ago we were melting :) :) Managed to prepare more ground for planting out, so tomorrow think around eight more will be going in their new spots. Charlotte Helene ,Tess , Coral Magic , Mischa , Lilleannes jewel , Alloys , just to name a few.

11. ROEBUK

Just thought i would post this after planting out numerous trees yesterday , had finished for the day and took a bucket of weeds down to my garden waste bin in the front garden emptied the weeds in the bin and left the bucket on top of the bin. Came out this morning and realising i had left the bucket out all night and was surprised to see how much rain we had during the night. See pics of the 400ml i poured out of the bucket. Must admit it's been like this for most of the week now !! what a relief not having to water every night now. The trees are looking so refreshed at the moment as well.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  12. Keith Elliott

Last night the forecast was for a "strong possibility" of thunderstorms early this morning. Right on time at 6:00 a.m. it started. Has been non-stop for the past 90 minutes, and now heavy rain. This is a blessing for the dry forests I am sure, and the lightning seems to be the type which jumps between clouds. Lost our power with one big strike, but came back up quickly. I don't think anyone is sleeping through all this racket!

emery likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Just thought would post that here in Hampshire we will be under drought orders as of Friday 5th August. Everything so very dry. News channels saying the driest July since 1911 and the driest longest stint since 1976.
    Trees are dropping their leaves massively atm. Maples are hating this.
    Would love to have the rain that Mark is getting in Yorkshire.......

AlainK, ROEBUK and Keith Elliott like this.
  14. Keith Elliott

Mother nature should be able to do a better job of spreading the rain around.
    Believe it or not, it is still thundering and raining here, more than 3 hours now non stop.
    At least our near term temperatures are forecast to be considerably lower....a welcome relief indeed.
    Hopefully you won't lose too many of your maples Derek.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Thanks Keith, glad to hear you have rain there in BC. Re my maples, I think the attrition rate could be very high this year. Perhaps they are not the trees to grow in this ever changing climate. In Southern England...they say the Summers will get hotter and hotter in the coming years, with longer dy spells, definitely some decisions to be made regarding replacing or changing what I grow. The latter would be more sensible I think.
    If you get a chance, do blow some of your rain clouds this way.
    Have a lovely weekend.

16. Keith Elliott

I see you haven't lost your sense of humour Derek! So you think that I am full enough of hot air that I can blow the clouds a few thousand miles!!! I think I will have to leave that up to the politicians.

Acerholic likes this.
  17. ROEBUK

The rain is certainly been well received in the North that's for sure , our local water authority have just started airing water announcements informing us on how to be frugal when using water , not quite reached the hosepipe ban scenario as you in the South seem to heading towards . Must admit i am planting out more trees now which were destined to remain in pots for a few years , five on Thursday hopefully three more tomorrow (weather permitting) forecast for rain !!! then for next week another five , then also looking at building a covered area on the bottom patio to allow a more controlled shaded area for numerous sun haters , will do this after the leaf drop plus i think we will also have to cut tree numbers down as well , it's been such a hard slog this year to look after them all and my main problem this year has definitely been the wind which has been relentless !! Hope you get some of the wet stuff shortly, sounds as though you need it desperately and very soon.

maf and Acerholic like this.
  18. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@Acerholic Hope you can manage without a hosepipe - I’d find it very very hard..and you have more than me!! Eek!

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Keith Elliott

Got woken up this morning at 5 a.m. by the noise of pounding rain! It seems that it's either feast or famine here. Not sure if this rain reached all the way down to Penticton, where there is a sizeable forest fire raging. No rain right now, but we are still under cloud cover and the temperature is only 15.7º. That's akin to freezing for us at this time of year!

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Getting difficult already R. Haven't used a hosepipe, but have spent last week adding more mulch and soaker hoses that are allowed, with a pressure switch and electronic timer. So expensive to install, but I hope it will get me through until September ishh. Hope all is well for your trees there in Northampton and you don't get drought orders as well.

21. Acerholic

Can you feel the envy from little old dry England.....lol. Glad your having some wet stuff though Keith. But those fires are a bit of a worry I'm sure.

22. Keith Elliott

I still have relatives over there Derek, and some in the south of France. They aren't happy about the heat.

We're generally OK here up to about 40º or so...nice big lake to swim in at the bottom of the hill! As for the plants, well, the lettuce is bolting, peppers are doing incredibly well, kale is good, already had a bumper crop of beans and the spuds will get dug up pretty soon. My two surviving maples are doing amazingly well, as long as I keep them watered every day, they don't seem to mind the heat thus far.

23. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

After heatwaves and drought my rainwater storage just went from completely empty to completely full in about half an hour. We had some drizzly showers during the day then this evening the heavens opened.... No thunder or lightning, just very heavy rain, the like of which I haven't seen for a long time! Scrambled around in the dark filling up some extra buckets and such to take maximum advantage of the situation, and then, as I was already soaked through, I walked down the hill to the local stream to see it was up from the usual 10cm deep to around 180cm and threatening to burst the banks! Some manhole covers in the road were literally being lifted by the water pressure, not something we see around here very often.

24. Keith Elliott

So it's either feast or famine for you as far as the rain goes. Better a heavy rain than no rain I suppose.

It looks like we are in for a somewhat prolonged spell with no rain, and plenty of heat to go with it. I see 38.7º on our weather station at the moment. It's times like these that I wish I had left some trees on our south lot, at least we would have had some shade. It was that, or get a view of the lake. The view won out. You know who to blame for that, don't you!

AlainK, maf and Margot like this.
  25. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Summer took a long time arriving on the BC SW coast this year and it has been very easy to handle - nothing like that dastardly heat dome in June/July last year. We're in for a short-lived 'heat wave' tomorrow and Thursday with temps around 30C on the coast and ~35C inland. The thing that makes all the difference for gardens is how severe the watering restrictions . . . as it is, we're still allowed 2 hours running the hose every second day; plus unlimited hand watering.

AlainK, maf and Keith Elliott like this.