What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Just after 4 a.m. here, 27.3º outside and 30.8º inside. I can see how much fun today is going to be!

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

21 C @ 4:40 am, morning java in the cool refreshing morning air

wow, what a relief today only 30 C in the forecast. I will really appreciate how cool 30C is after three days of 43 C in chilliwack. Lots of plant devastation thru out the valley. Looks like the raspberry crop is completely ruined in the lower mainland ( BC is one of the biggest growers / exporters of raspberries).
    For the first time in over 20 years I see burned leaves on our full moon and orange dream cultivators. Both are north side minimal sun exposure but this heat was just too much.
    On the other hand I am relieve that our sangu kaku, seriyu, shishigashira , viridis ( all full sun ) experienced no damage. All red leaf cultivators are fine as well. Was quite the test for all plants.
    Some of our hosta's are completely destroyed, fruit on our apple trees are over ripening and turning brown and soft even though they are still small and developing.
    It is kind of like a gardeners horror movie..

Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.
  4. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks for details on how which trees are managing on the hot conditions Otto. It must be that my moonrise and orange dream are young because the moonrise was getting leaf scorch on the new growth and the orange dream had leaf scorch when I brought it home, I think those leaves just got worse. Both are in good spots for those trees so maybe it’s just cause they are young. I even added a garden cloth shade to the moonrise that was 40% UV reducing and it continued to have curled leaves

5. Keith Elliott

Good morning Otto! Only 30º today? You're going to need your winter parka if this keeps up. Still 42º+ in the forecast for today up our way, definitely not good.

Unfortunately in the Kamloops fire district, a number of people have been kicked out of their homes due to the new wildfires. I'm none too good at this link stuff, so maybe that will work, maybe not.

Homes evacuated as out-of-control wildfires grow in B.C.'s Interior

I see that there are a couple of quite large and rapidly spreading fires now. It sounds like all they are using is four helicopters, which frankly I don't think will make any difference. It takes the much larger water bombers, and plenty of them, to get something like these under control.

Anyone can check the weather channel for the latest on the raging fires. There has been a total of 402 fires in B.C. this year, the calendar year for which starts on April 1st. 134 in the Kamloops district (that's me) and those fires have consumed 6,199 hectares. Undoubtedly a lot more than that by now.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Saw alarming videos on TV today about the "heat dome" (or whatever you call it) and the influence of the jet stream.

They said that Vancouver has broken records with temps of some 48° Celsius and the death toll is worrying. Not to mention the fires.

I haven't looked for sources in English, but I typed "jet stream dome de chaleur" and here is an article in French that explains it :

Météo - Dôme de chaleur au Canada : pourrait-on connaître le même phénomène en France ?

7. Keith Elliott

Just heard from Val a few minutes ago, and apparently there were 25 heat related deaths in Vancouver yesterday. She's heading home tomorrow, but will be travelling in the wee hours to avoid the worst of the heat.

@AlainK, yes it's called a heat dome. It is a truly massive area that covers thousands of square miles of land. It does get up to B.C. occasionally, but not usually this early in the year, nor for this long. It is now heading slowly east, and Alberta and Saskatchewan will be next in line for this little wonder of nature.

What we need here, and desperately, is about three days of steady rain. Without that, there's no hope of the number of forest fires staying this low.

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's terrible for the people, we had a heat wave years ago, and the deaths raised by the tousand for elderly people. Now there's a kind of alert, town councils contact elderly people (since I'm over 65 now, I received a form that I didn't fill in or sent back, proud wise guy of me), check if they are in a safe environment, have regular contact with their family or friends, make sure they have "water sprays" and fans, or any system to cool the atmosphere.

Of course, Sequoias are not people, but it's also a concern : the lack of rain and droughts are endangering the species in the wild.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  9. Keith Elliott

Brief forest fire update: 41 active fires, up 26 in the last two days. The smoke in the air here at Anglemont is becoming more pronounced by the hour.

10. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Omg I am so choked right now. Just home from working and checking all my trees and thank God I do. My loser neighbours threw a lit cigarette butt into my yard next to my rising sun JM. What Moron does that in one of our worst heat waves. I threw it back into their yard and yelled at them for throwing Litt butts in a heat wave. Some people just don’t get it

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It's going to be a long summer. Despite the fact that we've endured unprecedented hot temperatures here on the coast for several long days, you in the interior will suffer higher temps for longer - along with all the related problems. By the way, did you find out what those gunshots you heard this morning were all about?

12. Keith Elliott

I think I did. Across the road from us is the local Inn. I went for a drive around these parts some time after I had spoken with the RCMP and I noticed that there has been some work done on a long driveway to the back side of the Inn. It seems there was (is) an excavator in there and he was banging on a big rock trying to break it up. From a distance it sounds just like gunshots. Problem solved and nobody is any the worse for wear!

13. Keith Elliott

Good grief! Does this person not know there is an extreme fire hazard everywhere right now? That's the person who unthinkingly starts forest fires when he/she is out for a drive. Please make sure that he doesn't know where Anglemont is! We don't need those kinds up this way.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  14. Keith Elliott

Went out to do more watering, and I was greeted by this cloud. That is all forest fire smoke I am sorry to say.

IMG_5982.JPG IMG_5983.JPG

15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Honestly Keith with the amount of Pot they smoke I would be floored it they could tie their own shoes!! I’m sure they would never find Anglemont they would probably think Swiss Alps!

16. Keith Elliott

Oh, Good! Does this mean we should direct them over to Switzerland and be rid of them for awhile? As for pot (on a purely botanical note of course...) Apparently, prior to the general legalization of pot in Canada, everybody and his dog grew pot here. Although I didn't see this, there was a local house that burned to the ground as a result of this activity. Graham, our local fire chief and all round good guy, was telling me about it a couple of years ago.

17. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Yah it has a place it’s a wonderful anti/inflammatory for many illnesses, but for me who is actually allergic I loathe it in my space. I hate these tenants for so many reasons. The lit butt landed next to my new rising sun JM pot which has small wood chip mulch. Thank God I have been ignoring the water restrictions, had this been the other side of my yard I’m pretty confident it would have lit the grass.

18. Keith Elliott

So you are under restrictions already then. I haven't heard of any in place here just yet, but considering that this is really just a little hamlet, and we have a fairly new water system, not to mention a huge lake from which to draw water, they shouldn't need to restrict us here. (He says hopefully...)

19. Keith Elliott

It has taken less that three hours for the forest fire smoke to go from the above photos (post 1489) to this.

I am reminded of the time when the smoke from fires in Siberia encircled the northern hemisphere several years ago. No matter the time of day, the sun was always red. This smoke is only from about 70 miles away.

The only possible benefit is that the smoke clouds reduce the intensity of the sun and give us lower temperatures. The negative to that is the dirty air is not good for the lungs and it doesn't smell too nice.

IMG_5984.JPG IMG_5985.JPG IMG_5987.JPG IMG_5992.JPG

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  20. Margot

Shades of things to come.

21. Keith Elliott

Sadly, that's probably all too true. Do you have any fires down your way yet Margot?

Not looking forward to the drive in to Kamloops early tomorrow, as I expect the smoke will be worse there.

Margot likes this.
  22. Margot

I have the BC Wildfire Dashboard on my screen and see there are 7 wildfires in the northern, fairly remote areas of the Island, all still fairly small in size and all caused by lightning. Besides careless people, lightning is perhaps even more to be feared because it can start fires in the most inaccessible places possible.

23. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

24. Keith Elliott

The various videos of Lytton burning are absolutely mind numbing. The sky up this way now has all become smoke filled, and when I arrived in Kamloops this morning, the sun had that characteristic red glow to it. Looking across the confluence of the North and South Thompson rivers was a real shock, nothing but grey smoke.

Back home now, the mountains on the other side of the lake are totally obscured, in fact we cannot even see down to the lake any more despite the considerable breeze currently.

IMG_5993.JPG IMG_5994.JPG

25. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

We had the sunniest day for a while here, quite pleasant and warm without being what you would call hot.

But I don't want to talk about that, my heart goes out to all in BC who have suffered the recent heat and especially those who have been affected by the terrible forest fires. @Keith Elliott I sincerely hope that the smoke in your pictures is the closest you come to those fires because I wouldn't like to be in your house if a fire was sweeping through the trees in your valley. Stay safe all.