What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Here too the soil is as hard as cement, another excuse to postpone digging a patch where I can grow tomatoes. It should rain (?) next weekend.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow D, already! Just checked, no rain forecast before the 30th here, and of course that's too far out to be meaningful. Another dry april, sigh.

Still it does look like we're out of the freezing for a few days anyway. I had put many pots away last night, but we only hit 1C, and 3 scheduled for tomorrow morning. The pots stay out!!! Thank goodness.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The same here E, so fingers crossed for us all.

4. Acerholic

I hope your right Alain. Nothing forecast here in the way of rain at all.
    Might need a sledge hammer and chisel for your tomato patch digging this year!!

AlainK likes this.
  5. AlainK

;-)

+1.8 this morning, bright sun this afternoon : 18° C in a shaded area of my garden ! Crazy...

6. Acerholic

We just hit 18°C and sun is shining so brightly. As you say 'Crazy'. Nice to talk about some warmth though at last.

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice day today but the clear blue sky still indicates it's going to be cold again tonight !! Pic of my squatters in my workshop, just been given an eviction notice want them all out by Thursday had enough now :) all leafing away like mad now and they need to be outside to get colouring up , last pic of my Spring delight always one of my favourite trees in the spring, shame it doesn't hold the colour longer ?

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Looks like they like it in there M, they are getting bigger and bigger, Lol. Your Spring delight will get a lot of interest over here, a Tallon Buchholz introduction I believe. Junkers? Very pretty indeed.
    Hope the cold is at an end for you up there. If not it won't be too long now.

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hope so the trees need to be out !! Mind you a bit of sun and they will soon start to turn.
    Had the spring delight for quite a few years now, came from Hilton at Packhorse farm in Derbyshire this chap has some stunning trees , ground grows quite a lot of his stock!! Added a spring and fall picture just a shame you don't get much of a spring showing , three weeks tops then it starts to turn green but stunning fall colour.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  10. Acerholic

Good morning M, you have mentioned him before, sadly for many who live a bit too far away, he doesn't do mail order.
    I understand your point about Spring delight mainly being a Spring and Autumn show. But so many are and we love them for that.

11. Acerholic

Very quickly, forecast of 3°C here last night and at 0500 hrs it was -3 °C.
    How do they get it so wrong. They are flying helicopters around Mars for goodness sake !! But a simple weather forecast for planet Earth is rubbish.
    You are right Alain, the trust has now definatly 'GONE '.

D

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  12. Acerholic

I've just been looking at the forecast for my area ready for a family get together in the garden for May. It was just right, bright and dry. But that made me look at the last time there was rain here. And then I realised, that on the 4th of May it will be exactly 2 months since we had some. Worrying or what !!!

13. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Hi D, Yes worrying indeed. Last year my husband installed two 1000 liter ibc totes to collect some extra rainwater after last two dry years. Hopefully it will help us through the dry spells. Another unfortunate consequence is that our meadow birds new born chicks die because of thirst, because the soil is to dry.

14. Acerholic

Good evening M, nature is really taking a hit, it's so very very sad. And it is rather disconcerting to hear the scientists saying the planet is beyond the point of help now.
    Well done you for going down the rain water harvesting route. Everyone on the forum should be doing this if at all possible, even if it's just one small water butt.

15. Acerholic

16. AlainK

22° C this afternoon...

17. Acerholic

Looking like frosts here tonight. Is it the same for you?

18. AlainK

No, from two sources : +9°C and about +18°C in the afternoon (probably more)

19. Acerholic

That's wonderful, really pleased for your trees, so now for some rain......

20. AlainK

Almost all of my trees are in full leaf now. The pink Tamarix flowers are replacing the pink flowers of Prunus pissardii, and next are the flowers of Wisteria, a bit more pink than most of the ones I can see around here :

jardin_210419a.jpg jardin_210419b.jpg jardin_210419c.jpg

Acerholic, dicky5ash and emery like this.
  21. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Looking good Alain :)

Zero for the next three nights here!

22. Acerholic

23. Acerholic

OK, I wanted to say here about my method of spraying twice a day due to overnight frosts as it looks like we maybe over the worst here in Southern England. Temperatures in the coming 12 days say nothing below 2°C at night. A bit touch and go, but we will see.
    So out of my 170 cultivars and species trees, I had three that really struggled, even with a lot of attention. Red Feather, Little Princess and Matsukaze. Now I have found over the years that these are the usual suspects when late Spring frosts arrive. So no real surprise. But I wanted to say that if anybody else wants to try out this method, then as far as I'm concerned it has been a success, as it has in previous years.
    -7 ° C was my lowest April temperature btw.
    Any questions, then please feel free to ask.

D

dicky5ash and MapleMO like this.
  24. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Once again!

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

I know R, it's hitting here yet again as well. At least you have yours well wrapped, good luck!!