What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Nice and sunny in the north today, still that cold nip in the air though All the trees back out of the workshop again for a good bask in the sun and a good watering , all coming on very nicely at present but will be going back in tonight still cold frosty nights until next week then hopefully better temps ??

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good to hear M, it's cloudy here now, and I want it to stay that way for the next few days, then no frost will arrive. But that's just wishful thinking.
    Glad all your trees are doing well, it was worth all the hard work bringing them inside.

3. Acerholic

Here where I live it was forecast to be -1° C last night. I went down to check my trees at 0200hrs and my garden thermometer said -4° C. The ground was totally white and I just stood there in disbelief.
    No getting back to sleep after that, so the kettle was put on and after several cups of coffee at 0600hrs I was out there spraying once again.
    But as I was saying in a PM this morning to @Margot, my water tanks are emptying fast, with no sign of rain in the next two weeks. There hasn't been rain here in 5 weeks already. What is to come this Summer I wonder!!?

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow D, that stinks. I hope it's helping, but there's only so much you can do. We had -2.1C again. Yesterday a neighbor said he saw -5 in the car around 6:30 in a nearby village. Freeze again tonight and Sunday morning apparently, before getting warmer next week. It does look to stay very dry though. We had a nice rain 27mm a few days ago though.

I took a survey around the garden at the end of the afternoon yesterday. and I do think there will be losses even if we don't have another episode later in the month. Some maples just get weaker every year from the freezes, until they go.

It certainly will be (another) really poor seed year, most maple flowers aren't even bothering to open, just turning brown. I'm sure there will be something though. Once again this year I can't contribute to the Maple Society Seed Exchange anyway, thanks to pandemic and new import restrictions.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ca craint !... (that sucks). Not as bad here, +1.5 this morning, only two days at -0.5, -1.7, but once again, some of the trees have suffered, including an Acer elegantulum whose leaves are burnt at 75%. On others, new buds are alredy showing on the twigs that were damaged.

6. Acerholic

That is so sad to hear E, I hope we all get through this unscathed or partly unscathed. But if this is the future, then what for our trees?? Will it be back to native only!!

7. Acerholic

That is some good news at least Alain, as long as we don't get hit again at the end of April or even May.

8. AlainK

Fingers crossed.

I've seen the late frosts and the damage done
    each day eating a bit of every maple, oh, oh...

The worst one, 'Phoenix'. I pruned some of the tips to the new buds, some leaves down the trunk are OK :

acerph02m01_210415a.jpg

Next to it, 'Jerre Schwartz' and 'Momoiro koya-san'. Surprisingly, 'Deshojo' is in pristine condition :

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_210415a.jpg acerp-momoiro_210415a.jpg

Among those that are "not that bad but not so good either", 'Starfish', 'Rainbow', 'Purple ghost', and 'Hana matoi' with some roasted flowers :

acerp-starfish_210415a.jpg acerp-rainbow01_210415a.jpg acerp-purpleghost_210415b.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_210415a.jpg

Many of those that didn't have burned leaves had drooping tips and "retracting leaves", as if they had suffered from a lack of water. Since the tips of the branches were weak, this shirasawanum (from 'Autumn Monn) has tips that were broken by the northern winds :

acershir-sem2_210415a.jpg

Nik and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  9. Acerholic

This is beyond comprehension what is going on Alain. I'm hoping that May will see the new buds that are forming now, explode into leaf. We have got to be positive, if not I really don't know what the futer holds for our trees.
    Just a a footnote, the spraying I'm doing twice a day has in the past been about 80% effective, but this time I would say it's around 95%. ( I am spraying later this year btw). So if this is the way forward and others who have PM'd me are also getting good results, then perhaps it might help you. Just a thought from me.

Shin-Deshojo and AlainK like this.
  10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

All back in the workshop again tonight , another good day in the sun but it's like siberia outside in the north at present. They are all coming out on Sunday like it or not getting fed up now of constant moving around on a daily basis !!

11. Acerholic

Hopefully we are nearly at the end M. Think we are all getting a bit tired. I know I am....

12. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

So sorry to read everyday how much efforts you are doing to protect and save your maples D,
    but i am sure they will reward you.

As for myself I just gave up worrying and i am just having a quick look at them each day without doing anything and i will accept any loss...not that I do not care but my health is kinda up and down lately so I have no energy at all.
    And having most of them in the greenhouse and the rest not in leaf yet, it is just 3 or 4 maples that are beeing damaged but still feel bad because 2 of them are young delicate grafts and i'd like to watch them grow as they are new additions and the 2 others are decent grown maples by myself that i enjoy every year.

I am hoping to see the next coming weeks without any frost.

13. Acerholic

Just going to say -4°C here last night. Thats 10 nights in a row of frosts. ONE more to come apparently ?????? We will see !!!

14. Shin-Deshojo

My forecast say no more frost this month,
    I am very tempted to put outside all my trees but i do not trust the forecast.

15. Acerholic

Do any of us these days I ..... Agreed it is very tempting.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  16. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Measured 0.3°C, which means I could have left pots outside. Still freezing forecast for tonight and tomorrow, then I bring them out and they take their chances.

Bit depressing walking around the garden as more and more of the damage shows. Much is to new shoots, which means those maples won't really grow this year, something I always find difficult when we're trying to get them sized up to have more presence. Oh well.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Agreed E, a very depressing start to what we all hoped was going to be a fantastic Spring. Chin up, as we say here. It will get better.

18. AlainK

This morning : + 6.2°C
    This afternoon : + 15.2
    Mainly sunny.
    Still waiting for the "Saints de glace" (around May 10-13) to be certain the frosts won't come back, but I think here we're out of trouble now.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Good to hear Alain. Got a couple more dodgy nights here tonight and tomorrow, then fingers crossed the next posting on this thread will be about too much heat and not enough water, lol.

AlainK and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  20. Acerholic

OK its just after 1700 hrs and the forecast is saying -1°C overnight to Monday morning. I have a lot starting to leaf out fast now, so I'm holding my breath.
    Next week we have a couple of 1° C overnight, so when I thought I was out of the woods so to speak. Maybe not !!! I've Just seen the forecast for my area for the 1st of May, it says 12° C during the day and 3°C overnight. Is anybody else getting these silly temperatures at the start of May?

21. Nik

Nik Contributor

Quite seasonable weather over here. So sorry to hear about all the frosts across Europe lately.
    We do experience this often in April, but not this time. A little worried about Thursday morning, because I have all my Cymbidiums out already, but I think it should be fine.
    Second picture is our side yard from our dining room window yesterday morning. It gives a good example of what the yard looks this time of year.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Good evening N, that photo shows a lot of bare branches still. So perhaps like you we should be patient until the middle of May !!!
    Thanks for offering a different look at things.

23. Shin-Deshojo

It's saying i'm safe but i don't trust them anymore:

20210418_211559.jpg
    20210418_211653.jpg

I did put my trees outside this afternoon as i wanted to enjoy their spring colors, just hope i will not need to move them again, i am tired of that little game.

24. Acerholic

Me too I. Time for a warm Spring.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  25. Acerholic

I was out walking early this morning and everything was so dusty, so when I saw this ground cracking and in April, I thought, 'Oh no, what is to come this Summer'.
    Ground cracking in April 197.JPG