What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

In a word cold , cold and snowy !!

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and zfrittz like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening M and a Happy New Year to you. Now that looks like the Arctic blast the forecast was talking about.

3. ROEBUK

Hello D and the same to you , just seems to have hit the North and West Yokshire regions, hopefully will go as quick as it arrived ??

4. Acerholic

After seeing M photos of a rather chilly Yorkshire, I read this about 2020. Those hot winds played havoc on our maples.

2020 was the warmest year in Europe since records began, according to data published by the EU climate monitoring service. Last year topped 2019's previous record by 0.4C (0.72F), the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service said.

5. Acerholic

Well my garden thermometer is saying 11° C and the forecast is saying 9°C, my maple buds are swelling before my eyes. Just looked at the forecast which is saying 11 ° C for tomorrow, so is it going to be 13°C ??? This is not good if trees start to wake up now.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

-3/+4 yesterday, +7/+11 today here. No signs of trees awakening though, except Japanese apricot and Japanese quince which are always the first ones to flower.

ume03_210112a.jpg chaeno-sp._210112a.jpg

Nik, monicasanchez and Margot like this.
  7. Acerholic

Is that even a bit early for Apricot and Quince Alain? 11 degrees, back in shorts again!!!?

8. AlainK

Yes, that's a bit early, about 10-15 days earlier than in previous years.

<LOL> I'm afraid the older I grow, the more I resent the cold, especially since there's a drizzle and some wind at the moment...

9. Acerholic

I fully agree there Alain. Spring can't come soon enough especially this year.

AlainK likes this.
  10. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Here, in Tallinn, there has been relatively mild winter up to now. Minimum temperatures have been ca -10°C , and only for two nights. This week they predict -15°C for couple of days. I put some extra layers of insulation to my inground figs.
    frost-protection.jpg

Figs are under the snow (up to 1 meter high pile).
    In the foreground there is a black currant. European water vole likes its roots, that's the reason for this sad look, but I needed something for comparision of height.

Nik, monicasanchez and AlainK like this.
  11. Acerholic

I don't think I have enough thermals to cope with -15 !!!! No problems keeping your trees asleep Sulev.

12. AlainK

Not too soon, not too soon ! Here, in mid-late-February there's often a very cold spell, so if early flowering trees are damaged by frost, that means no, or very few fruit.

Not a big problem for maples though, they can backbud lower on the branches most of the time.

13. ROEBUK

Here we go again !! deeper than last weeks, - 3 last night.

Attached Files:

Nik, monicasanchez and Margot like this.
  14. Acerholic

But Oh so pretty M and quite the normal Winter for your parts of the country. Very mild here atm 12°C, but dark and raining. Definatly prefer your view!!!

15. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I've had trouble sleeping tonight - no rain pelting down on the roof and skylights; no wind howling through the window - it's just too quiet. This has been such a stormy winter so far!

16. Acerholic

Quiet sounds so very nice Margot. In our little and extremely overcrowded country you are never very far from 21st Century noise. But I know what you mean, take away the those noises that one is used to and the mind has troubles adapting, especially at night.

17. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Acerholic: is it really that cold and snowy all over UK today? (Fri 15th Jan 2021)

I saw weather alert on a news website

Does this foil winter farm crops etc?

Tho our UK / Cdn parents always left some root crops in to freeze then harvest (parsnips!)

Our Okanagan BC neighbors are begging for a few days of well below freezing so they can harvest for icewine production — it’s been unusually warm winter in Okanagan (so far)

ÉDIT to add - the winter jasmine is blooming nr coastal Vanc (normal) and this is photo of forsythia I brought indoors to force.

Attached Files:

Nik, monicasanchez and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

@Georgia Strait No just the Northern areas of the UK that is being hit atm. But that is normal. I'm in Central Southern England and snow only comes around every 5 years or so.
    But this year is looking rather typical of Winters past, so that's a good sign !! As long as my trees don't wake up too early, ie late February and get hit by the late Spring frosts, I will then be quite content with the weather now.
    All the crops around here are mainly grains so this weather will not affect them at all.
    I love the scent of Winter Jasmine and your very pretty forsythia gives just a hint of what is to come in not too distant warmer days.

19. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am not really an icewine fan (sweetness) tho it is a known product of the industry in Ontario and also BC Okanagan

I didn’t realize how low the temps need to be to freeze the water content in grape and crush while frozen in middle of night with the resulting juice being hi brix (lots of sugar)

Thé worry in 2020/21 winter here is that it’s been unusually mild in Okanagan — some days same temp as coastal Vancouver which is very unusual

Wineries along Naramata Bench anxiously waiting for the icewine freeze - Penticton News

20. Nik

Nik Contributor

It has been dark, rainy and gloomy lately and unusually warm for this time of year, +7C today.
    On a brighter side of things, I got my first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

21. Acerholic

Still waiting over here N. But glad you have some protection now. All good news.

22. Nik

Nik Contributor

Nice morning with temperature just below freezing and cool looking clouds.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Lovely blue skies N, everything looks so much nicer with a bright blue background.
    Over here we are bracing ourselves for storm Christolph that is going to hit tomorrow with severe flooding forecast. So we've had pestulance (Covid), now flooding, just famine to follow !!! Perhaps I shouldn't tempt fate Lol.

24. Acerholic

MapleMO likes this.
  25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Min -5C and max 3C today. This is typical for this time of year in the area. Overall the winter has been unusual though.
    Also interesting clouds this morning, not the ‘cloud streets’ from two days ago, but still interesting (two-tone color effect through the trees).
    D, how bad was the storm? Any damage where you are?

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and Acerholic like this.