What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

6° C in the morning, 12° C in the afternoon, mainly cloudy, occasional light rain showers in the evening, a few sunny patches in the morning, very moderate wind. That's the weather we've had in the past days and it seems we'll have more or less the same in the coming days.

Autumn 2020 among the hottest since the beginning of the 20th century (Météo France)

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

This has been a warmer-than-usual late fall here where I live on eastern Vancouver Island, BC. We've only had one day when the temperature fell below freezing - in October, no less (-1C). Today at 2pm, we're at an amazing 11C. Nightime temps have been in the 3 to 5C range. Precipitation is still quite a bit lower than in years past but there are no official records for the area where I am to tell how much less.

My maples, rhodos and other plants are all looking good so far . . . many hellebores blooming or ready to. We'll see what weather the next 3 months brings.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Yes, the snow is here D. I am not so sure about the lucky part. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a winter like the one we had a couple of years ago, when we had a major snow storm every week for about two months..
    About 12 inches so far.

Attached Files:

wind-borne, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I see your point N, but as per your photos 'Oh so lovely'.

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

One more photo for you D.

Attached Files:

wind-borne, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  6. Acerholic

So dramatic N, the rocks and bare bones of the trees make for a very cold looking scene. Thankyou for these photos.

7. Acerholic

Well it's just a few days until Christmas and the temperature on my phone whilst out walking earlier said 14° C. But the forecast for the 25th onwards is a more normal 5° C during the day. My maples might just say nite nite until Spring. Fingers crossed !!!

monicasanchez likes this.
  8. Nik

Nik Contributor

Tree removal has begun in our yard, snow and all.. First is an oak, next is our giant tulip poplar. I feel sad, but it has to be done. And I admire the guys that can do this type of job.

Attached Files:

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

Climate change and more and more frequent severe weather in our area are the reasons why we are doing this. Otherwise our house can be destroyed during the next high winds storm.

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

And here goes our tulip poplar. About 8 more large oaks, red maples and beeches to go. Depressing (and expensive).

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

@Nik that is some amazing tree surgery N. Sad but safety comes first. But just think of what you can plant to take their place next Spring. Time to plan !!!

12. Acerholic

Well we had 70mph winds all through the night with lashings of rain. 'Storm Bella' it has been named and lockdown again started on Boxing Day.
    2020 is not going to be a year remembered fondly. But remembered it will be !!!

Margot likes this.
  13. Acerholic

monicasanchez likes this.
  14. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, severe weather seems to be everywhere these days. I expect it to get worse..

15. Acerholic

So it seems N, but tbh don't mind it so much in Winter. Cosy days inside in front of the fire has a nice feel to it. With chocolate of course Lol.

16. AlainK

Very cold now, like 1-2 in the morning (but no frost, except two days ago, -1) and 6-8 in the afternoon.

Had a look at the 15-days forecast, it seems we'll have showers of snow from the 1st to the 7th of January. I'll have to put my alarm-clock on to take photos because I think it will melt during the day.

17. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hello.

Ugh, very cold also in Mallorca. In my area there has been a minimum of 1.8 degrees.

There are no frosts until February, but as the humidity (over 60%) is high, the thermal sensation is low.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  18. Nik

Nik Contributor

After some rain overnight, it turned out to be a good day with just few clouds.
    Temperature is typical for this time of year.

Attached Files:

19. AlainK

Hundreds of miles away, it was about the same today : -2° then 3° this afternoon and sunny. Cloudy tomorrow, but still waiting for a few snow flakes in my region.

20. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

After days of wind and rainstorms, the temperature here was 11C at 1pm. It's dropping again now so I'd better get out while it's so balmy. :-)

21. AlainK

I've never seen that, but that looks fantastic :

Hair ice

In the article there's even a link to a time-lapse video with further explanations on the phenomenon.

22. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have seen that pretty often, almost every year.
    One of my photos of this phenomena:
    juusjää.png

23. Acerholic

I saw the hair ice on the BBC yesterday, amazing phenomenon. But as you say Sulev quite common in your parts.
    That's why this is a great forum, it's worldwide.

24. Acerholic

We are having what is being called an Arctic blast from the East over the next few days, with daytime temperatures at 0 ° C, then on Monday it will be 10° C. The fluctuation especially at this time of year is weired.
    But what is normal in these times !!

25. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes I have seen « hair ice » on the Sunshine Coast near Vancouver BC

I saw it on old stumps or fallen alder trees or old salmon berry branches

I think if a fungi likes to grow out of the old wet (damp) wood - then one might expect to find a hair frost formation on cold snap winter days

Hair ice - Wikipedia