What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Moi aussi, je suis Charlie. Even if it frequently made me cringe and I rarely found it funny. The issue was for a long time how closely they walked to antisemitism or anti-whoever-ism, but it can never be said that they didn't go after everyone. And I mean everyone, in the tradition of French BD.

5mm of rain, woo-hoo. I've got the tree guy here, right now high pruning the Populus alba hedge at the mo, yesterday he took down an enormous willow that had become dangerous. It will be interesting to see how the maples that benefited from its shade do. I think of this because he worried that the rain yesterday might make it difficult to drive the big truck around the aceretum and other areas, but the ground is hard as cement.

Yes as D said, Charlie also goes by Amazing Maples, he posted here for some years, now mostly found on youtube. He is a dealer in large JMs, and has some marvelous trees (and videos).

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Conversation between Me and ME

Me: The forecast is for nothing but rain for the next 4 days.

ME: Well, the garden will certainly appreciate it.

Me: I don't care. I want to go outside and work in the garden.

ME: You should know by now that this is typical weather for this time of year.

Me: Yeah, yeah; that doesn't mean I have to like it.

ME: I thought you loved the sound of rain on the roof?

Me: A little goes a long way.

ME: Don't you have toilets to clean?

Me: 'Click'.

Acerholic, Houzi and emery like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot, thought we might regret wishing for rain!!!! But for some like Alain and Emery it must have come as a great relief to their gardens.

4. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

God Margot,you're as bad as me....arguing with yourself.....trouble is I always lose!

5. Acerholic

@Houzi good morning J. You as well !!!!!

Houzi likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Can you belive it, 12°C and in the last few minutes a massive hail storm. It was 25 ° and sunny only on Monday.

Attached Files:

7. Houzi

Huh,that rain wasn't even enough to trickle into my water butt....disappointed.

8. Acerholic

@Houzi I'm sure it will fall today J. The rain and hail here is biblical!!

9. Houzi

Well it's still blue skies and sun presently,though distinctly chilly.Whilst we haven't had rain since long before the last heatwave...can't even remember,I don't fancy hailstorms.Thanks for the warning D

10. Acerholic

The coldest September night for 23 years in the UK and gale force winds later today. It looks like the extremes are here to stay !!!!!

11. Margot

Please tell how cold it was there last night. You've been having a hail of a time lately.

For reference, we are currently at ~13C at 12:30am.

I notice that again today the sun rises and sets at 7:08 am and pm. Time to steel ourselves. The days won't be this long again until mid-March 2021.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. Acerholic

For me it was 5°C at 0700 hrs but for Northern parts of the UK it was -5° according to the news. Sunset is at 1855 hrs tonight.
    Tomorrow morning frosts are expected here in the South.

13. Margot

I can hardly believe that! In your 8B hardiness zone, 5°C so early in the season seems unusually cold - or maybe I'm just guessing.

14. Acerholic

@Margot no its unusualy cold Margot. But we are due a cold Winter. It has been very mild for the past 7 years here. Lots of berries on the trees atm. Has been a sign in tbe past!!!

15. Acerholic

Just to show how cold and wet it was last evening in my garden. Here are two photos showing my patio flooding and of hail stones on my garden table, with strong winds that came from nowhere.

Attached Files:

16. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

We got +21.3C two days ago and +23.1C yesterday. Prognoses are also promising for this Saturday and Sunday, there will be sunny warm weather. I hope, that this will help my melons to get ripe.
    The first autumn frost here was last Saturday, my butternut squashes and cucumbers got frostbite, but did survive. My ocras started to bloom, just before the frost.
    I haven't watered my garden (except the greenhouse) since the beginning of August, there has been plenty of rain and all of my rainwater collecting tanks, almost 3000 litres altogether, are constantly full of rain water already for more than a month.
    Last week we had a strong storm on Thursday. That caused several power outages at my place, despide we have a power connection over a land cable that should be absolutely windprrof. And my telecom provider decided to start updating my router's firmware at the time of the violent storm, after series of power outages, so next power outage bricked my broadband router. I fell down to mobile connection until I managed to replace my router.

17. Acerholic

@Sulev good afternoon Sulev. Glad all is going well weather wise for your plants. We have frosts coming here tonight, which is very early for the South of England.
    Lovely temperatures this weekend for you, any chance of blowing some our way???? It worked in the opposite direction in the Summer Lol.
    Hope to see some lovely colours from your trees on the forum very soon.

18. Mani

Mani Active Member

Such a windy gusset here today! Took me by surprise! Managed to lose a 2 ft branch off a potted tree that had fallen over. Saddened by such a little thing!

Can't begin to imagine how those in the US West coast fires must feel!

19. Acerholic

@Mani so sorry to hear about your tree Mani, it has been very windy today in the UK. The extremes of climate change are sadly here for all to see now.

20. Acerholic

A beutiful start to the weekend here in England and the wind has subsided. Not a cloud in the sky, but rather cold. It appears we have escaped the forecasted first frost, for today anyway. Once @Sulev blows some heat down this way it could be shorts on again in the garden!!!!

21. Nik

Nik Contributor

Sunrise was very nice during our early morning walk. And one of the Thimble islands looked like it was suspended in midair, because the color of the water and the clouds was almost identical. The day here will be quite nice, unfortunately with the typical high humidity.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Margot, emery and 1 other person like this.
  22. Acerholic

@Nik those are the most serene and beautiful photos I've seen for many a day N.

23. Acerholic

We had 3°C overnight here in Southern England and now it's going up to 20 ° C later today with wall to wall sunshine. No complaints here at all !!!

24. Margot

@Acerholic - Is it usual for your lows be so low at this time of year? That really surprises me.

We're in Zone 8B too but our average low in September is 10C. The lowest average temperatures in the year occur in January, when it is around 2.8 °C.

25. Acerholic

@Margot good evening Margot, no not at all, we don't usually get this until November. So are we here in the UK heading for a cold Autumn and Winter !!? It is overdue!!! Nothing would surprise me in 2020 tbh.