What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@monicasanchez good evening Monica, sounds like Spain is the place to be at the moment. Particularly chilly here in the UK right now, but the maples are happy, lol .

monicasanchez likes this.
  2. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    English maples are sure to be happier than those from southern Spain hahaha

Autumn will not be long in coming.

3. Acerholic

Pouring with rain here in Southern England right now. So much for an Indian Summer!!!!!!! But as Monica said 'happy English maples'.

4. Acerholic

Cloud,cloud, cloud, such a dull day here in England this morning. And the wind has turned. It's almost like a switch was flicked to say, OK you have had your Sumner, now for the next season.

5. Acerholic

Weather forecast has just said TROPICAL air coming into the UK. As @Mani said, " Hello Summer".

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

This summer of 2020 has been the most benificent of any I can any remember in recent years. Temperatures seldom reached uncomfortable highs and rain interceded frequently enough to keep most of the garden happy - supplemented with regular irrigation of course!

Even now, in the first week of September, few plants are showing stress. It is quite remarkable. We never know what weather conditions future years may hold but, for now, it is important to simply relish the beauty of this season.

The 14-day readout below is from the Weather Network for Nanoose Bay, BC.

upload_2020-9-3_23-23-9.png

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

@Margot very well put, 'relish the beauty of this season'. Next year who knows!!?

8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Just saw from NHK news, that in some regions in Japan up to 900mm of precipitation is expected nearest days with typhoon Haishen. That's more than we get here in Estonia during a full year. Crazy!

9. Acerholic

@Sulev it makes you think never to wish for rain when its dry, as you just never know what you will receive!!!
    We were hoping for rain here a few weeks ago, since then it hasn't stopped, Lol.

Sulev likes this.
  10. Acerholic

If I could choose a perfect September morning then today would be it. A little nip in the air as the sun rose in a gorgeous blue sky and then warmth from the rays. A good gardening day I think !!!

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

All the leaves are brown
    And the sky is grey...
    Well, not all the leaves, but many trees around have dried leaves, I'm afraid they will fall before tuning their Autumn colours. And still no rain...

12. Acerholic

@AlainK A great Mamas and Papas song, but not a great year for maples in France sadly. Such a shame Alain. Will send you as much colour as possible from here in England.

But looking at your recent photos of your maples in your garden, there will be some cheer for you at least!!!

13. AlainK

I hope so...

14. Acerholic

The clouds are back this morning and a decidedly chilly feel today. This month has a habit of racing along for some reason. Perhaps it's because we are all so busy in the garden after a lazy Summer!!!?

15. Acerholic

What a strange morning here in Southern England. Warm and so 'very dry', which is weired for September, but the forcasters have just said that this week will be rather different temperature wise for this time of the year.

16. Margot

The 14-day forecast for the SW coast of BC is for sun and no rain; high temps around 21C. While many are happy about the extension of an iffy summer, it makes me uneasy, knowing how quickly the woods can become tinder dry.

17. Acerholic

Looking at the wildfires in Calafornia, I can see your concern Margot. Frightening!!!!

18. Acerholic

19. AlainK

24° this afternoon. The sky at 17:45 :

jardin_200907a.jpg

20. Acerholic

@AlainK good evening Alain, if it wasn't for the fact that you badly need rain, I would hasten to say " What a beautiful day".
    Just looked at your forecast and it looks rather hot again in the coming days. It must break for you soon, it has to !!!?
    Some of M @ROEBUK weather would do you nicely atm !!!

21. Acerholic

A very grey start to the day here in England, but getting very warm for 0600hrs. Looks like at least two weeks of this type of weather.
    Good for planting out into warm soil for those roots to take a little before it gets cold.
    All my Autumn soil etc being delivered today, so nice conditions to work.

22. Margot

Hi @Acerholic . . . I'm curious about the Autumn soil you mention . . . what is in it and how you use it - if you don't mind explaining, that is.

23. Acerholic

@Margot good morning Margot, of course not. The land my house sits on is all clay and over the years (decades) I have removed basically all of it down to about 3ft below the surface level.
    But twice a year every year I carry out a similar process, but not so deep. I add good top soil, compost ( my own and purchased) grit and peat. I also use Sulpher in the mix to help with acidity. I like to keep my soil PH the lower side of neutral.
    Nowadays I mix it in all together with whatever clay is left.
    Now this works for me and I have read the science very recently stating amending is not required. But my soil really does need it for my maples.
    I will relate something to you about this. My parents lived 50 yards from my present house and they tried and tried to grow maples in their garden. They just placed them in a hole in the soil that was there. (Correct height btw). Low and behold they died.
    Now this could well be a drainage problem as it is clay, but I've always remembered their trees and so I add all of this in my garden religiously.
    My main additive to my soil is grit btw.
    I've added a photo from a small patch of my garden I dug over yesterday ready for the new top soil today, as can be seen the clay is coming back. This area was last worked 3 years ago. I do it on a rotation basis btw.
    Hope this has not started any arguments, Lol. This is what I do and not a recommendation.

Attached Files:

24. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Finally managed to catch up with this thread: the weather is always a fine subject for a good gardener's natter!

Gosh though @Nik that's not good. I do think your 'Rhode Island Red' will overcome the damage. What a shame though, not to mention the other trees.

I saw one day where on the radar @AlainK got a few hours of what looked like good rain, but I know that in the Loire as here it remains stunningly dry. We had a couple of days with typical weather -- what we call bruine or misty rain -- but no accumulation to speak of. Most days, like today, are fine with a few puffy Norman clouds blowing in, lovely temperatures 18-22C. Alain I love Belfast too, some of my family lived there for many decades. (I have other Irish roots, but from the South, so there's some irony in all of this).

Some maples recovered with the wetting, but are now wilting and going brown again. Others seem to be settling in for the autumn display. Still others defoliated completely, and some of these are now putting out new leaves. On certain plants these aren't doing well, and those are at high risk. Others, we shall see. For the first time ever, I've seen maple flowers (A. argutum) in the fall! -E

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

@emery Good morning Emery, Spring and Autumn rolled into one in your photos. What a very strange year !!!
    Looking at the forecast, it doesn't seem like the wet stuff is coming anytime soon for you either. More trudging back and forth from your wells !!!?
    Are you under drought orders where you live?