What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What's the weather like where you live ?

Here, and I believe in other places around the world, it's changing fast.

It's been a month since we've had no rain, except 1 or two millimeters twice or three times, not enough to wet the soil below the leaves.

We're heading to another very hot spell for a few days, 30-40 Celsius. Today was 28, a bit cloudy this morning, but sunny and windy in the afternoon, a hot wind, the worst for maples. Went swimming in the pool across the street, we were the only two people swimming at 4:30 !

This evening, a few stray clouds in the distance, catching the last sun rays. Jet planes going south.

jardin_200728a.jpg

jardin_200728b.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

It was 20°C here today and very windy, maples did not like it at all. 30 ° C coming on Friday but for only a day. Thankfully a lot of rain over the weekend so everything watered well and water storage all full.
    Beautiful sunset Alain, glad you enjoyed a cool swim.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Lovely pictures Alain where you are , it's nice to know where all the sunshine is hiding away at present , would be nice if you could send some over to the north of England just a week would be very nice !! Just fed up of the continual rain and very strong winds which have been the worst i can remember for many a year now. Oh on a brighter note we are forecast for a nice day on Friday but then it goes back down hill for the weekend.

4. AlainK

My shoulders are thankful too. So good to have some exercise after over 3 months of couch slouching LOL

Going back on Friday.

No photos : my friend said "How strange, my swimsuity has shrunk !". "Me too" I replied, "especially around the waist... "

^_^

But I'm glad we can slowly get back to real life again. Tomorrow : restaurant. Enjoying life again, but we're careful.

"Take care" as they say...

5. AlainK

Och! Typical "English weather" then...

When I went to Scotland where I spent a school-year as a "French assistant", that was in the summer of 1976 : the first drought in decades ! At that time, most people across the channel would take baths, not showers, and there were messages on the radio advising the locals to take showers. In the flat we rented, one of our fist buy was a kind of adaptator to fit in the taps to have a shower.

Plumbing is a very unusual but accurate difference between the Britons (including the Scots, so far) and the continentals. And it's not only a matter of whether you prefer a bath to a shower, everywhere I went I thought that if I wanted to make money in the British Isles, starting a buisiness as a plumber would be the right thing ... LOL

Don't take it bad... ;°)

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Lovely photo’s Alain. Re plumbing haha, very good and quite true..plumbers in the U.K. do very well for themselves..

As D. Pointed out there was a tornado 4 miles from me on the weekend at Moulton..it ruined an allotment and lots of sheds..but no people hurt fortunately

AlainK likes this.
  7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow the summer of 76 remember it well , just started college and we always had to go to the pub afterwards for weeks just to cool down after a hard hot day in catering college ... happy carefree days !!

AlainK likes this.
  8. Nik

Nik Contributor

34 C here this afternoon with 70% humidity. Typical this time of year. Humidity is always around 60-90% around here during the summer. Sunset is still some time away, but this is one of the large trees (not the largest) in our property, looking southwest, a white oak, 0.7 m diameter at the base.

Attached Files:

9. AlainK

Great tree Nik, thanks for posting.

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

How old do think your majestic white oak may be? We've got very slow-growing Quercus garryana (aka Garry Oak or Oregon White Oak) on Vancouver Island - this one in my garden could be a couple of hundred years old but there are much larger specimens further south on the Island. Mine has a diameter of 2 feet, measured 3 feet from the ground.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Anywhere between 40 to 100 years old. I honestly have no good sense about these things...
    It is on top of a granite rock outcrop, I would bet on the longer range, it does look ancient. Sadly, we had to part with a red oak of similar, yet slightly smaller size, positioned closer to the house. Amazing specimen, but sadly too close to the house and too precariously positioned on the rock...

12. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

The marine dominance was overwhelmed by some dry valley air and we hit our summer high of 75˚F /24˚C a couple days ago, was only a one day invasion.
    Before and after, the 60's.
    Sunny and windy or foggy and moody.
    July/August is our break from rain...
    Florence  avg..png

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  13. Margot

Having just read all the posts on this thread, I realize my last was a bit off-topic.

We are having a cooler-than-usual summer this year on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Some people are complaining but my garden and I do not. We got up to 30C yesterday, too warm for me to do anything in the garden but hand water - and admire.

14. Acerholic

Just woken to a beautiful Summers morning here in Southern England. Going to be 21°C and at last the wind has dropped. The strong drying winds have been the problem here this year. Agree with M @ROEBUK, had enough of them!!!!!

15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well it's been a miserable year for maples, that's for sure! But then you know that Alain. ;)

We managed a couple of mm out of the last system, otherwise it seems like forever with no rain. Often much hotter than usual, in the high 20s C. As with all of us in Western EU we are getting ready for a big peak tomorrow, probably 35 but will be short lived thankfully. We got a couple of days of overcast last week, I admit I was grateful for it!!

16. Acerholic

Just hit 29°C in the shade in my garden, weather forecast said it would be 25°. Forecast 30° for tomorrow, so who knows what that will end up being.
    Cooler Saturday though, with rain all day Monday.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

11am and its 30° C here, nothing like @zfritz 45. 8 °C , so will not complain at all.

18. Margot

Here where I live in Nanoose Bay, a huge thunderstorm is winding down after almost 2 hours. It was amazing! In the 15 years we've lived here, this is the first significant storm that has been right overhead and lingering. Sheets of lightning filled the sky with flash after flash. I went outside to take a good sniff of the ozone - sweet!

Almost 5am and still 20C.

19. Acerholic

@Margot, that sounds amazing Margot, any photos??? The smell after rain or a storm in Summer is just so wonderful.

20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hoping for a thunderstorm here in the end of the afternoon. 37C forecast and it feels like it, with a 40kph east wind, very damaging I'm afraid, but oh well: it's weather! :P At least the house stays cool, Adele just put on a sweater!

21. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Here in Boise, Idaho we are having 40 Celsius or 104 F today. Yesterday was 40.5 Celsius. So today is a “slight” break. The larger trees that I have are showing sunburned leaves but they are doing okay I think. I planted 2 really small trees this spring that are probably a little shocked due to not having a lot of roots. Haven’t had such high temps for a couple of years. We have a drip watering system that is on a timer so I always worry, but in the summer we don’t get much rain so I guess at least the moisture is consistent. Actually thunder storms here are a worry because we get large forest fires in this area started by lightning. Hey at least trees don’t get COVID 19! Hope things look up here on that!

22. Mani

Mani Active Member

According to Accuweather it's 36 degrees C where I am!

Gorgeous weather!!

23. Mani

Mani Active Member

:DDD A sweater!!!

24. Acerholic

@Mani, it just flashed up on the news 35.5 ° C at Heathrow. Hottest day of the year for UK.

25. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

expected high here today 62˚ F/ 16˚ C