What's happening to 'Spike'?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Paulina, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    My Monkey Puzzle Tree, which I've had for 3 years now, looks like it's dying!! We're going through a heat wave here in BC right now, with temperatures up in the mid to high 30's. Did it overheat?? I'm giving it a good soak of water right now (at the roots), and had the sprinkler on about 3 days ago...
    Should I cut off the lower branches to give the top ones more energy?? What to do!!?? I'm so upset. I've watched it grow since it was tiny... And even named it Spike...

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

How cold did it get last winter? Anything below -20°C is likely to have killed it.

3. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Not below -20, I think the coldest we got was -10, but it's been healthy as ever, growing new branches, the lower ones fell off, and it looked full and healthy up until last week.

4. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Sad to say... Spike died... will have to see if anyone on here is looking to trade plants for a Monkey Tree perhaps...

5. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

Aw Paulina I am sorry to hear that. Here's hoping the next one prospers.

6. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Okay, I am NOT imagining this, but I haven't had the heart to pull Spike out of my garden, and I swear it's going green again!!?? Is this even possible?? I have even asked friends and my hubby to confirm, and sure enough, they tell me it's going green again too?! I'm SO excited, and SO hoping it comes back... will update again in a few weeks....

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

8. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Thanks Liz, my tree was completely brown/crispy dry and definitely 'dead'. But I'm wondering now if maybe the roots hadn't completely died and maybe somehow it managed to still suck some water up into the tree... either way, I'm excited to see if it comes back...