What's happening to my Royal Poinciana tree?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by kyislander, Apr 24, 2009.

1. kyislander

kyislander Member

I have an 18 year old Royal Poinciana and recently a mysterious brown liquid has started running down the side of the trunk from where a limb was trimmed off years ago. Also, there are three other places on the trunk where limbs were trimmed ages ago and they are "bleeding" as well. It is dry season here in the Cayman Islands and it hasn't rained in 25 days. This is the first time I have ever seen this happen to our tree.

2. kyislander

kyislander Member

I contacted the local agriculture department and was told that the tree had a fungus and it needed to be treated with liquid copper. I bought some and have applied the first treatment and will reapply in two weeks for up to six weeks until the "bleeding" stops. Then I am to seal the areas with pruning sealer to prevent the fungus from reinfecting them.

3. Nath

Nath Active Member

Did they tell you if that is a fungus native to the Cayman islands or can it develop anywhere in the world? My Poincian's are only seedlings at the moment, but with the speed they grow, it would be good to know for future reference. Also did they say how to prevent the tree from getting it in the first place?

Nath

4. kyislander

kyislander Member

According to the Department of Agriculture here, the fungus was identified in 2000 and is more than likely found world wide. The best prevention is to prune limbs on an oblique with the cut facing towards the ground to prevent moisture from settling on the cut. Additionally, they recommend that after a couple of days to spray Prune Sealer on the cut. Further prevention is to keep the canopy thinned out to allow air flow and prevent humidity from building up.
    My problem arose from a cut limb in the "V" of two main branches, therefore, water settled in the cut and made a breeding ground for the fungus. I have since treated the area with Liquid Copper and it is healing nicely! Once completely healed in about 6 weeks, I will spray with Pruner Sealer.

5. Nath

Nath Active Member

Thats useful to know thanks. I'll be careful when it comes to pruning. Occaisionally I have seen similar problems with certain palm trees and have found it better to treat the pruned area with an anti fungal so I'll make sure I'm careful with the Poinciana's now as well.

Nath