Propagation: What's going on with my Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragrans) seeds?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mglt1412, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mglt1412

mglt1412 Member

Hi, I purchased these tea olive tree seeds on eBay and tried to germinate them yesterday. I removed the hard seed coats and soaked the seeds in 3000 ppm of GA3 solution for one night and this is what happened. Something looks like embryo root pop out from some of the seeds but later they are completely removed from the seeds. I am not sure if these seeds can still germinate or not? Does someone can help me explain this please? :) Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Wow, that's a pretty strong dose of GA 3. How come so much? The speed at which they germinated perhaps says they could have got by with a lot less. The trouble with using those strong concentrations is that it can kill your seedlings several ways. First, straight out toxicity before or during germination. Also common is the seed just blowing apart as it tries to germinate way too fast. Then later, as they grow bigger, they can be damaged or die from excessive stem elongation; sometimes just by flopping over because they can't support the weight, or becoming a worthless/unattractive plant because of the elongation.
    Your picture shows a standard root coming out of the seed, plant that pointing down or on it's side. It looks fine from the pic, although perhaps a little too fast. Are you having problems after this point?

3. Moonwave

Moonwave New Member

Hi, I would like to know if you were successful with your germinated seeds. I also removed the seed husks and I am wondering now if that was a good idea. Did you had any healthy seedlings?