What zone am I?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by gringamuyloca, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gringamuyloca

gringamuyloca Member

Hi All,

Planning out vegi beds and researching what I can grow here, but it's getting confusing.

According to AGR Canada, I'm in zone 8, USDA says 7a, and the Weather Network says 6b but the weather stats say our avg nighttime temp in July and August is 10C with an average daytime high of 18C if we are lucky. (Knock 2-3 degrees off for the months on either side of July and August.)

Most of the planting descriptions say to wait until ground temp is a constant 12C (55F) before sowing seed; so what CAN I direct sow besides peas and radishes.?

I have 206 sq ft : 4 beds are 4'x8'X18" and one 39'X2'X18".
    Unfortunately I'm not set up for starting seed indoors this year.

Your opinions and advice welcome!

Thanks!
    Tam.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The zone numbers are based on winter average minimum temperatures, summer temperatures aren't taken into account at all. If your average coldest winter temperature (ideally based on the average of minima over a 30 or 50 year period to give more reliable figures) is below -17°C, you're in zone 6; between -12 and -17, zone 7, and between -7 and -12, then zone 8.

3. JanR

JanR Active Member

A lot of vegetables can be sown directly in the ground. Carrots, beets, beans, zucchini, parsnips, onions, potatoes, lettuce, spinach, corn, cucumbers and squashes. The only one that I can really think of that you can't direct sown is tomatoes as they just take too long, but as long as you have a sunny window, you can start them indoors. My Mom always grew them that way and never had a problem. Some plants will do better if you can give them a head start indoors, like squashes as they need a long growing season, especially the winter varieties. They also need a lot of heat, so they may not be a choice for you in Port Hardy as your summers tend to be on the cool wet side if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck with your growing. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

AHS Heat Zones do indicate warmth rather than cold, not all are hardiness zones. As you have mentioned there is more than one system, so which zone you are in depends on which system you are asking about. Maybe forget about the zoning and just focus on your real question, which is when can certain vegetables be sown there. Have you checked the agricultural ministry web site for this kind of information? The Extension network down here has lots on food production and other gardening topics. There are also at least a few books on gardening in western Canada, maybe that one by David Tarrant for instance has pertinent information. You could also ask at local independent garden centers.

5. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

And to play it safe, assume that you're in zone 6. I used to live in an area that was zoned between 2a and 4 depending on the authority, and by planting things I knew would survive in 2a I never lost a harvest.

This said, AGR Canada is probably the most reliable zoning for your area - the USDA is only really really accurate within the states. And I've never trusted the Weather Network.

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Hard for me to believe that you are in zones 7 or 8. Port Hardy is on the water, but whenever I have been there it has been much colder than Nanaimo or Campbell River. And when I spent a few weeks one August in Port McNeil down the coast I just about froze.

8. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

If you want to succeed with gardening up around Port Hardy look at using short season
    seed that are developed for colder climate.

This a good link for seed sources

http://www.seeds.ca/sl/csci/

http://www.seeds.ca/rl/rl.php

Even though you have a longer growing season you will not get the same heat units

eg the Okanagan so using shorter season plants will let you grow more

You could also utilize mulches around the base of plants to generate more heat.

Cheers

Kim

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant in covered frames to protect from hard frost and damp nights (murder on tomato plants) and get more summer heat.