What veggies to plant now on Sunshine Coast?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margaret, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

We have had bumper harvests of potatoes, peas, cauliflowers and lettuce and now are wondering what to plant both in the raised beds and regular veg gardens. We are now only watering the veggie beds regularly as we are at level 3. Have found straw to be an amazing mulch.
    Thanks.
    Margaret

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    good question

... do you have a shaded area where you can start in those little peat pots - and transplant later?
    if yes, I'd be ordering some "viola" (pansy) seeds to start now for the fall - early winter on the coast. They do well in pots or a hanging basket.

direct seed in an area that has sun in winter - some sw chard to keep your greens supply going

some people plant garlic sets later in the summer - for next year

make some rosemary cuttings (cut and put in a glass of water - let the roots begin - then plant in nice pots from the recycling depot so you can gift to neighbors or sell at the plant sale etc

direct seed some basil, cilantro, etc - in pots so it is handy to your kitchen door.

Have you grown some summer squash? There may not be time now for them to grow in to the dreaded monster zucchini that everyone's nice neighbor dispenses on all our front porches - pick them young and small -

rescue a sad tomato plant from the plant nursery - feed and water - I"m sure you'll have some fruit.

it might be a bit early to start some things - but by the time you get the seeds, etc - it might be time.

doesn't west coast seeds have an article about mid-summer planting for fall-winter on their website?

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Georgia Strait.

I've had a look through West Coast Seeds catalogue and think I'll try beans and beets to start with. As you will know we are hovering at level 3 for watering and as the gardens face south west on a slope we have very little shade. I will have a go at your idea of planting in pots in the hope that we may get cooler, wetter weather soon but we do seem set into this drought. I am also going to experiment with putting some fabric on the raised bed hoops to give some shade.

Hope your property is safe from the fire. See Carlson Point has an evacuation alert.

Margaret