Identification: What variety is this maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Jun 17, 2012.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Hello,

Here are a few pics of a maple that I need your help identifying. It appears to be very slow growing and has a tall and narrow growth habit. The foliage and branching is sparse (maybe due to a poor growing conditions) It has a low graft and is about 12 years old (estimate from the grower). It is 5’ tall and 1.5 to 2’ wide. Thanks in advance for your help and expertise in identifying this mystery maple.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

pseudoplatanus maybe Nizetti

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One that has become prevalent at independent outlets here lately is 'Esk Sunset'. A feature that helps narrow it down when looking at these colored foliage forms of sycamore maple is whether or not the leaves are purple beneath.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the info Alex66 and Ron B.

It does not have purple underneath the leaf. Here is a picture of the leaf underside.

Thanks again for all your help!

Attached Files:

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting. I grow many pseudoplatanus cultivars but I don't recognize this one. I grow both Nizetti and Esk Sunset, and don't believe there is a match there. It could be a restrained Leopoldii perhaps, I have seen examples of those that are very speckled as in the pictures. Otherwise I can only say what it's not... :)

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

today i check my pseudoplatanus only one have under leaves like this is Leopoldii :)

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you Alex and Emery. After a Google search I can certainly see the resemblance. Alex, I appreciate you checking your Leopoldii and confirming the bottom of the leaf is the same.