Identification: What type of ficus is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mismodliz, Oct 13, 2004.

1. mismodliz

mismodliz Member

I've been told this is a ficus plant, or fig tree. There seem to be so many different types. Can anyone identify which one it is?

Also, it didn't come with any care instructions. I have had it for 2 1/2 months. Some branches have recently started drooping. Is this normal? Also, it drops a lot of green leaves. The roots? seem to show at the base. Does it need re-potted or is this normal?

Thanks so much!

When I first got it:
    [​IMG]

Close-up of leaves:
    [​IMG]

Now - drooping branches
    [​IMG]

Root problem?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

Yes it is a varigated fig ( ficus) It looks generally healthy.

You may want to repot it. But before you do look at the first picture of Roots. on the soil there appears to be white crystals.

This can be an indicator of salt buildup caused from a number of things, most commonly Poor draining soil or over fertilizing the plant. The figs do not need much fertilizer( I have several that are 5 to 15 years old and only fertize them one a year).

You might want to try to purge the plant first ( about 1 week before you tranplant it) To purge it you will need to submerce the pot and root base in a bucket untill all air bubbles stop, remove and let the pot drain ( It should drain fairly quickly)While the pot is submerged remove the floating white salts ( I use a pasta strainer)

It is not uncommon with the fiscus (in pots) that the main root (tap root) will circle the pot and stangle the plant

Best of luck

Regards Doug

3. mismodliz

mismodliz Member

Thanks so much for the ID. And I assume the crystals are from over-fertilization. I will purge it and repot it. Should I go up a pot size?

Also, how often should I be watering it? It drops a lot of green leaves. I've read that that is common for new plants, but I've had it for 2 1/2 months. Then I also read it can be from overwatering.

Any ideas?

Oh, and the brances starting to droop at the top is ok?

I apologize for all the questions, but I received this plant at my mom's funeral, and it really means a lot to me. I want it to last for years and years. I hope mine can last 15 years!