Identification: What type of Aloe Vera is this?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Grace Escudero, May 19, 2020.

1. Grace Escudero

Grace Escudero Member

I just purchased this Aloe Vera yesterday and it’s so different from what I’m used to seeing. Instead of the bright green Aloe Vera one sees more often, it’s like an ashy green with hints of red. Any clues on what type of Aloe this is? Also, does it look healthy?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Grace Escudero, are those sea shells in the pot? If so your Aloe vera maybe suffering from salt toxicity. Also these plants IMO are green, my parents had these for decades and all were a lovely healthy green. The brown tip is a sign of stress to the plant. Over watering can also cause this.
    So remove the shells and check the soil to see if it's very wet.
    So often when a plant appears sickly, people pour a lot of water on them thinking that this will be a cure all. It's often the reverse that brings a plant back to full health.

3. Grace Escudero

Grace Escudero Member

Interesting you should point out the shells. The plant came in a tin can so I repotted it with a cactus and succulent mix and upon removing it from the can, I found a bunch of shells and coral in it. I thought it was cute, but unusual so I just left them. I have removed them now and note that the soil feels a bit moist. I will let it dry out.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. Acerholic

Hi @Grace Escudero, just thought I would mention my rule of thumb regarding looking after all plants. First, never impulse buy. Second, research a plant you are interested in buying, Thirdly, can I replicate the original conditions the plant came from. If I can't satisfy the third rule, I don't buy it, however much I might like the plant.
    So looking at your Aloe vera, in regards to looking after it, ask yourself 'what conditions did it live in originally'? Replicate those conditions the very best you can and you will have a healthy plant.

Aloe Vera plant origin (Arabian desert) = hot and 'very dry' conditions. So watering is minimal and let it dry out between watering.

Hope that's of some more help to you.

5. Grace Escudero

Grace Escudero Member

Thank you! I removed the shells and have it under my grow light. It’s already starting to turn green and looks much happier!

6. Acerholic

That's good. Glad to have helped