Identification: what type of Aloe is this

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rudell, Jan 2, 2020.

1. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

I have this aloe but don't know what kind of aloe..leaves are really hard and stiff ... I should really repot... I m assuming these are all babies that are slowing it down from growing ... and how to separate ?

at=104&_nc_ohc=LADeO8ajbKUAQkU18gT-Hj7hX3l3nfzgd3SwIV2NuVC38fToSiPOWeU5w&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-1.jpg at=106&_nc_ohc=DCW1vJ-iRNAAQkr2TjYpEY8RpbHh0n6nA_joouR8m-Y0-KeKiurq_Ho7A&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-2.jpg at=101&_nc_ohc=zH-04dQ3LHYAQl3PTAnsXPrU4tTWgJV-O-d3OZ2uYp0Ts-VIokSl7VExw&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2020
  2. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

Nobody knows what this is??

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

4. Andrew Matheson

Andrew Matheson Member

I am no expert in Aloes but it looks like it may not be an aloe at all, it looks like it might be a Gasteria spp? But I cannot be sure without digging much deeper.

However, I am fairly confident that regardless of exactly what type of Aloe or Gasteria it is that you can separate the babies if you want, or not, it's up to you. Just take them all out of the pot, including the mother plant, pull them apart and let them sit for a week so any injuries they sustained can callous over to prevent rot. Then, repot them. Just make sure not too deep, again to avoid rot.

If it is a Gasteria, it might not get very big at all. And some Aloes are also very small. So hard to tell how big it will become over time.

5. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Yes, I agree that it's a Gasteria and not an Aloe. Perhaps similar to one of the variations of Gasteria carinata.

rudell likes this.