Identification: What tree with clusters of 10 needles, bluish drooping tips

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by wcutler, Mar 24, 2011.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm assuming this decorative looking tree should have a central trunk leader, but it's so shapely that I'm not even sure of that. We did wonder if it's the same as the ones nearby with a normal leader that have drooping tips but not the bluish new growth. Needles seem to be in groups of about 10. I didn't notice any cones, not that I remembered to look. Is it some type of larch?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sheared Himalayan cedar.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Ron. According to Straley's Trees of Vancouver, it turns out there are a lot of them in Vancouver, which I suppose I'll start seeing all over the place now. I'm guessing most of them have not been sheared.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Might be the biggest sheared example I've seen in this region - not that I've made a point of remembering such. A natural form example near A.L. Jacobson, in Seattle is well over 100' tall. When I viewed a row of them in Sacramento dating from 1871* the scale of the planting was so oversize I lost my sense of being grounded looking at them. Had the same experience walking up the lawn between the rows of big cedars at Westonbirt in Britain.

*According to North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley) a Sacramento example - surely one from this planting - measured 101' x 17'9" during 1989

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I doubt that it would produce any as long as it gets sheared.