What tree? Alternate leaves, fruits pecan size and shape

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Jul 12, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This tree is in the Asian Garden, on Lower Asian Way and Farrer. Nadia thinks it's in the Styracaceae family. The fruits are maybe 4cm long, shiny reddish-brown, and the popular arrangement seemed to be for them to hang in pairs.
    20120711_UBCBG_StyracaceaeMaybe_Cutler_P1260611.jpg 20120711_UBCBG_StyracaceaeMaybe_Cutler_P1260607.jpg 20120711_UBCBG_StyracaceaeMaybe_Cutler_P1260609.jpg

It has a tag - see it there next to the trunk? That's with a 12x zoom, and I can just make out that the name ends in odendron or odendrom, the family begins with S, and it's from China.
    20120711_UBCBG_StyracaceaeMaybe_Cutler_P1260610.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably Rehderodendron. The fruits are floats that disperse the seeds via water.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, Ron is correct. It's a Rehderodendron. It has not been identified to species.

4. wcutler

Great, thanks Ron and Eric.

Maybe when we talked about Rehderodendron in the May 31 posting, it was the macrocarpum. I looked at the POTD posting yesterday, as the name was the only one I could think of, but seeing the flower photo, I thought "no, that's totally different" and I didn't even click through to see the fruit.

Nadia was of course right that it's Styracaceae.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. wcutler

We found another Rehderodendron last week, and were even able to find it again yesterday - R. gongshanense, up a path above Upper Asian Way north of the Meyer Glade. We saw three of these, two different accessions from 2000.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks pretty similar to the first one.

7. wcutler

Here are flowers on the Rehderodendron gongshanense. It's in the group of trees pictured just previously but the other accession. They're just starting to open.

Attached Files: