What to prune on a vine during summer growth

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by joey1972, Jun 11, 2009.

1. joey1972

joey1972 Member

Hello,
    I have just a few questions. What if any grape vine pruning is done in the summer months? I was told you have to remove suckers what are they and where are they on the grape vine? Also do you just let the vine keep growing out or do you cut and stop it some where. Is there a certain number of grape clusters that should be on each cane? The further away the plant grows there seems to be less grapes on in the clusters, do those get cut off. I also have a 2 yr old grape vine that was cut down to the base as I was told to from someone who said they knew what they were doing, it grew like 6 ft in it's first yr.It now has 3 shoots growing and I am assuming to keep the tallest one to begin the structure should I cut of the other 2 shoots and let the tallest go or wait till next spring and pick the best one and cut the other off. I have pictures of both vines just for informational purposes the older vine is about 5 or 6 yrs old and a red globe grape I'm not sure the actual name and the 2 yr old is a red Candise. Thanks for all the help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi; That's pretty far up there for growing grapes. Canadice is fairly hardy to
    about -28C. The vines look healthy. I would let grow and do no summer pruning
    at all especiallly in your location. Red Globe will be a struggle there as it really requires a lot of heat and is grown in areas like Chile and California. It will be a real struggle to get it to ripen up in Kitimat. In the spring I would select the type of growing system you want to use for your grapes. The cluster you have on the vines now should be removed to help the vine get established. Generally you really don't want vines to start fruiting until their 3rd year (but you could leave a cluster or two just for a wee taste.
    These websites will explain grape production and i hope they help.

http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G60

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/treefrt/homegdn/grapes.htm

There are also other varieties you try in your area.

Good luck

Cheers

3. joey1972

joey1972 Member

Well I believe there globe grapes I have a few more pictures of the grape plants below.The globe I believe is about 8 yrs old and the other smaller Candise is second yrs and the Pinot Gris is this yrs. They seem to be doing well at first but alot of the grape clusters have dryed or did not develop a full cluster for some reason maybe due to hot we had a hot spell for a few weeks, it got pretty hot in the greenhouse close to 50 C everyday. These are grown in my hot house and not outside just in case you did not know. What are the best varitey of seedless grape to grow here in the cold climate I want a seedless white. Will Thompson seedless grow up here? I heard it a different type of pruning, spur pruning. Thanks.