What to Plant Under or Around Spruce Tree

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by jimfreschi, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jimfreschi

jimfreschi Member

We have a large spruce tree in our front yard. I'm told this causes a very acidic soil and there is, of course, a lot of shade under and around this spruce.

What can I plant under and around this tree that will do well in a shady, acidic soil?

Someone suggested "blue stems" and "Coleus."

I would like to get some healthy "ground cover" going directly under the tree because, since the tree is near a public side walk, I have had to open up the bottom area and the ground there is just "blah." Also, the yard around the tree is in desperate need of vegetation (ground cover). I want to develop a "native species prararie garden" in the area around the tree.

Any suggestions or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

A ground cover, which absolutely thrives under conifers and is even aided by the shade is periwinkle (vinca minor). They bloom profusely in spring, just about now and more spottily throughout the rest of the year. The colour of the flowers is predominantly (you guessed it) 'periwinkle blue', but they also come in white, lilac and other colours. Plant them on 12" to 18" c/c now and by mid summer next year you will have a solid blanket, which few weeds will be able to penetrate.
    See: http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/periwinkle_vinca_minor
    If you have a large area, you can start a small patch and divide them up later. Their surface runners will root and if you stick pieces of them into the ground, with any bit of root on them, they will grow, especially if the ground is augmented with some peat moss, to provide moisture and acidity.

3. jimfreschi

jimfreschi Member

Thank you. My next door neighbor is big on periwinkle. I have an area that gets very little light on the side of the house and she was recommending it for that area. I will check out the website you recommend.

4. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Ask your neighbour, what s/he thinks. Maybe some of his/hers need cropping back. ;)

A couple of decades ago I planted a whole hillside under ponderosa pines and aspen with a patch of periwinkle, somebody wanted to get rid of. As I said: any piece of runner with a bit of root on it will grow.

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

You may check into what native ferns kick about in any conifer stands in your area. There aren't exactly heaps of them, but here on the opposite border we at least have a Pellaea and an Asplenium...