what to do with these apples?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sluggo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. sluggo

sluggo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I have 5 apple trees in my yard in Vancouver. Doesn't seem to be a great year for apples, many of mine are small and not ripening all that great. I guess it's not too bad though.

My big problem appears is that bugs have gotten into a large number of my apples. I'm not sure what I should do with these apples. Do I ripen them as normal and then assess them later? Or would they be pretty much lost causes, and thrown out?

Looking ahead to next year, any suggestions on evasive action? I've read about putting something like nylon socks over the apples when they're new. As well, I'm wondering if I should thin out leaves around the apples to let me air and light through?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cut them open, and if very maggoty, put them on a bird table so the maggots get eaten.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Looks more like codling moth than apple maggot. Cut out the bad part and use the rest. Look up codling moth control on the internet for suggestions for next year.

4. sluggo

I'm actually quite confused at what the critter is. I read a fair bit on codling moths and apple maggot and the description or pictures don't quite fit what I think I'm seeing. I have a couple of good photos though.

Last night I cut open the apples with obvious damage and ate some of the apple, but for the most part I threw the bad ones out. I'm going to store the "good" ones because they could be ripened for a few weeks I think.

I might call the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, their literature says they are interested in tracking this stuff. I was even thinking that if I have a bad infestation that maybe I should be responsible and remove my trees. But then I look outside and see my neighbour's huge untended apple tree and I guess that removing my trees won't help within a 20m radius!

Attached Files:

5. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

On the left is a woodlouse.

6. sluggo

I wonder if the woodlouse just entered the apple after it had already been burrowed into. I couldn't find any information that would indicate that a woodlouse would actively chew and burrow into an apple. I think all of the other signs indicate codling moth, with distinct burrowing to the center of the apple and fecal matter left behind.

7. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

That would seem likely. As far as I am aware they eat decaying matter, there are always lots on the top of the compost bin. And I've found them on windfalls, too. Also in the house, I don't think they're very bright.Interesting little things, trundling about.
    I don't think they're the main source of your problem.
    I'd make preserves from what remains of your crop, there's masses of things to make with apples: mint or rosemary jellies, chutney, mix them with brambles, all recipes that don't call for perfect fruit. It doesn't look as if many of them will keep well. Pity.

8. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

You have codling moth damage on your apples. The insect you have going after the apples is going after the rotten fruit. Check out this website.
    http://www.oksir.org/ It's a very prevalent problem in BC.
    Hope this helps Cheers