What to do for winter

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by PinkParrot, Sep 18, 2008.

1. PinkParrot

PinkParrot Member

Hi Everyone:

I have some hostas around our house. When we moved in last fall, they had already been taken care of for the coming winter. I would like to know when and what I am suppose to do to make sure they come back nice and healthy next spring.

Someone told me I should cut everything as close to the ground as possible but I am afraid to do that before making sure it is the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance,

Vicky

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These tend to mostly evaporate on their own in fall. Do not cut live foliage!

3. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Does one really need to do anything in the way of winter prep to hardy perennials such as hostas in Halifax to ensure their survival over winter? I don't do anything here in zone 3, for any species, despite low humidity, chinooks and no reliable snow cover.

4. PinkParrot

PinkParrot Member

Thank you for the valuable advice. This goes to show you how much I know (I should say don't know) about gardening. But I want to learn how to take care of my outside plants. I have a lot of perennials that I would love to keep.

Would you say it is strange that the previous home owner had cut down everything last fall? Even the peony was cut down to the ground...

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

In Halifax's more humid climate, there may be (and I can't say for certain as I've never gardened there) a tendency for fungal diseases such as botrytis to occur. That would be the only reason cutting down peonies (and lilies) in fall - what a shame to do so if it's not necessary, as both, especially peonies, provide very nice fall colour.