What to do about this poor Pear tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Quatchi64, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Quatchi64

Quatchi64 Member

I've moved to a new house and there's this big pear tree in the back yard. Much like this fixer upper house, it seems like over the last decades it has been quite neglected.

It's growing fruit albeit only small guys. Has definitely dropped quite a few and dropped leaves as well.

Several dead branches that should probably be taken out. It's on an alley so wouldn't be surprised if it's been hit by dump trucks many times.

What do folks figure is mostly wrong with this tree and what should I do to get it healthy again? Can it be saved? (Also what type of pear is this?)

I'm willing to hire an arborist since the job seems fairly significant.

IMG_2470.jpeg IMG_2472.jpeg IMG_2473.jpeg IMG_2471.jpeg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Quatchi64 good evening, I'm afraid Pear trees are not long lived, you say it has been neglected over the last decades. If you get 30 years out of a pear you have done extremely well.
    Looking at the photos IMO your Pear tree is nearing the end of it's natural life, it may only fruit for another couple of seasons at best.

Others may disagree, but you could be wasting a lot of money on an arborist, when replacement would be a better option.

Sorry for giving a rather depressing opinion. But it is only my opinion.

Quatchi64 likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly the droopiness could be helped by giving the root zone a good soaking.

4. scilover

scilover Member

If you want to learn how to save a dying tree, it can be helpful to research proper pruning techniques.