What to do about magnolia seed bed

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by kachine, Apr 23, 2006.

1. kachine

kachine Member

I am not sure what to do next, I can't find any info about growing my seeds so I called the local nursery, this was last fall, they told me to plant my seeds in a bed of soil, and sand mixture, then place the seeds then cover them and put very aged sawdust over top, then put a screen over the bed to keep out critters.
    I have done all of this and nothing has came up, I don't even have a picture of what the seedling will look like. I wonder if I should rake away some of the sawdust {about 3 to 4 inches cover} now that it is spring or what? Some say that the seedlings will sprout this year with this method, and others say it will be 2 years, but I am now confused.
    I have a 60 ft. grande flora magnolia tree to which I got the seeds from, and my seed beds are no where near it.
    I do not understand about the germination process for these seeds.
    Please help, and can anyone refer me to some pictures of fresh seedlings.
    Sincerely,
    Kachine

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

I would think they're buried too deep. Plants germinate by responding to warmth, and that means the sun when they're in the ground, but the sawdust is too thick for it to penetrate. It is still early in the season though for some things to come up, so do try getting some of the stuff off the top, water well, and be patient.