What plants would grow well here?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by lily, Jul 20, 2007.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Corner balcony. Faces south and west.
    Shade all day long up until 3:00 when it gets the hot afternoon sun. Any ideas would be appreciated. Is there anything that I can plant now for the fall perhaps?

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sempervivums? Hens and chicks, if they appeal to you.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not sure if you just want fall flowers, but ornamental grasses would do well. You could plant pansies and/or ornamental cabbage. Mums will do well with 6 hours of sun or more. Purchase them in bud before the flowers open and deadhead after flowering to extend their bloom.

Newt

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I have a patio which is pretty shaded, except for portions of it, and the part next to the outer fence is really shaded except for one corner which I will call #1 which gets morning shade, late-noon sun then some shade then post-3 pm afternoon steady sun...[trees and house-walls cause various shade patterns]; the opposite end on the same side, #2, is very shaded all day, really. I grew a very successful pot in #1 spot in the spring which began to show heat and sun stress in late June before the present July wet spell, of course, so I moved it to #2 spot. It has growing very well now there in total shade more or less [although it liked the sun too in late afternoon until it got too hot and bright]:

Heuchera [big and fluffy, "Marmalade"]. Loves the shade and moisture of Victoria's wet spell this summer but obviously got its start in the sun and began to bloom there although I don't see any bloom right now but the leaves are much better and have multiple colours of gold, orange, reddish-pink underneath, and touch of various greens

a tall spiky red-touched green grass thing which did well both places

"Iron Butterfly" Tiarella, with beautiful dark-veined light-green maple-shaped leaves which complement the Heuchera. Sent up delicate tall white spikes of blooms in the sun, but not right now, and leaves seem ok both places

a tall poppy which liked the sunny spot best and sent up yellow and white saucers while in #1 spot, but which may not thrive in #2, undistinguished unnoticeable foliage

a fluffy fringe of Artemisia stelleriana "Silver Brocade" beneath all this, which by pure chance looks like a big lace ruffle, and seems to part in the middle at the front of the planter and go sideways each direction and fluff up and out very gracefully as if intended -- it likes both places

They are planted in an ornate Italian-style concrete planter with grapes/grape leaves carved on it, on its own pedestal... my camera is damaged and I have to choose another one, so I can't show this off via photo...

It seems that if there is a hot dry spell the Heuchera doesn't really fluff up in too much sun, but the others seem to. If you could find something to shade a Heuchera a bit during the hottest part of the afternoon, that might work, in your location, especially in the fall days... [in the past I have used a Chinese ornamental paper umbrella, can look quite charming] the poppy would be an addition in spring for the following summer, although...

Geraniums would love that location, if you like them. There are many new colours available...

5. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Addition to above, on balcony with morning shade, late-aft. sun: of course, Begonias...

Use the Chinese paper umbrella to shade them during the sun's hottest time [or make one to your own liking, with a pretty translucent pale green silk]
    ... it worked for me very well in an East Coast summer location; the begonias did not rot because of the bright period, but the umbrella shaded them during the worst of it. If this is designed properly, with a variety of sizes and colours of begonia, and geraniums, and large pot so that the plants have a good composty soil [don't use that awful "dry-out" potting soil, but use proper garden soil] it is quite lovely... use some white or light colours to show up in the shade, and one or two coordinating bright ones for the sunny period so it doesn't look washed-out... those large yellow begonias seem to do very well.

6. lily

These are all fantastic ideas! Thanks to each of you.

Chimera, I had no idea what hens and chicks were until I looked them up. I think they're pretty cool looking and certainly worth considering. Thanks very much. I think these are succulent?

Newt, I love mums so maybe I can still find some not in full bloom. A couple of these would be perfect and would still continue to bloom in the fall. As always, thanks Newt.

Janet, the plants/flowers you mention all sound gorgeous although I'm not familiar with most of them. I'll have to get some time to myself and do some googling. I really like your idea of the chinese umbrella, okay ~ I've never seen one of these before either so I'll go and look that up too. I have some begonias and they're really thriving beautifully. I really appreciate you for sharing all these great ideas. Thanks soooo much.

~ Lily ~

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

lily, if you get the chance, do stop in to the gardens here at UBC in the next couple weeks. The Sempervivum collection is probably looking the best that it ever has now that the plants have all been concentrated in one area beside the newly renovated Alpine House.

8. lily

Hi Daniel, ohhh I want to visit the gardens. Is it open during the weekend? Maybe I can talk my hubby into coming with me. Thanks for letting me know.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

10. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

lily, you're welcome. Yes sempervivums, hens and chicks, are succulents. Can be quite fascinating with the seasonal foliage colour changes and small jewel like flowers, and different species and their cultivars. Like sun and wind, low maintenance.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  11. lily

Chimera, thank you very much for letting me know about the hens and chicks. Now I want some..hehehe. I will have to sneak them in the house. Hubby says "Enough plants already, why don't you just move into the forest?" LOL