What kind of tree(s) should I espalier in San Diego?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by orangemaiden, Jul 24, 2008.

1. orangemaiden

orangemaiden Member

I am trying to plan an espalier in the belgian fence style, (where the trees are pruned into a "Y" shape and planted close together so that the branches of the different trees overlap, forming a sort of harlequin pattern.) What happens if I use different varieties of fruit, ie., persimmon, fig, persimmon, fig . . . Is that just a totally bad idea? If so, here is my quandary. I am trying to decide on a fruit tree that is:

-not citrus (already have a citrus tree espalier !!)
    -not something SO universally appealing (like plum or peach) that it would attract mean teenagers or hobos to my front yard (our house is on a common foot route to the local liquor store)
    -something that comes in different varieties that ripen at different times of the year so that I don't end up with 100 lbs of one kind of fruit in one month, then nothing.
    -something that will thrive in zone 10+ in San Diego (about 7 miles inland), on clay with sand about 3' down, preferably with similar water and pest control needs to citrus.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You might want to explore the web pages of California Cooperative Extension.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years