Identification: What kind of plant is this? (a type of palm?)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by helpmyplant, Sep 22, 2005.

1. helpmyplant

helpmyplant Member

I got this plant as a gift, and unfortunately, it's dying because I don't know what kind of plant it is, so I don't know how much light and water it needs. It used to have with many more leaves, but they had to be cut off because they started dying. Could someone please tell me what type of plant this is?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, a palm, sorry, I don't know which species. As a general rule, let the soil dry out between waterings, the commonest cause of problems with palms is overwatering. Most palms prefer good bright light.

The pot also looks rather small, it would be a good idea to repot it with some fresh soil. Use a peat-free mix such as coir (coconut fibre) compost

3. majesty palm, Ravena rivularis

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If your going to repot (which by looking I recommend) you might want to get a second pot for the little one that is coming up next to it.
    Carol Ja

5. Nycanthes

Nycanthes Member

That is a Kentia palm Howea forsteriana. this plant needs bright indirect light and mod h20. The tipping looks like it might be from too much h20 because the new growth looks healthy. If it is underwatered, new frawns will be dry and brittle.Try moving it away from the window a little so the sun wont burn the frawns

6. just wondering how one would be able to tell the difference between a Kentia palm and a Majesty palm??

7. Erica

Erica Active Member

You know, that looks to me like the $10 palm special you get at Home Depot. I have had several and all have the same problem- the leaves go brown and pull off. You might get one shoot but it takes months and months to unravel. I think you have to treat those kind of gifts like cut flowers in that you know they will die so enjoy them while you can. Sorry to be such a downer but that's the truth.
    PS- Home Depot has a year warranty on their plants if you have the receipt.

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

No matter if it's Kentia or Howea, this needs more light, humidity and air circulation. Regular home settings never do these palms any justice. Check for mites on the undersides of the leaflets, a common problem.

9. Cat Lover

Cat Lover Member

Is ravena rivularis poisonous to cats?