What is your favorite dissectum that isn't red or green?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mattzone5b, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

I am trying to decide on a dissectum that isn't the typical red or green. I have Tamukeyama, Crimson Queen, Garnet and Waterfall so I am looking for something that is a bit different.

I have noticed Baby Lace, Flavescens and Toyama Nishiki have some unusual colors. I do like the pinks, variegation and whites yet I am not very fond of the bronze colors of Baldsmith. Hardiness and sun tolerance are of importance as well. Any suggestion would be appreciated. If you could tell me why it is that you like the particular dissectum, it would help tremendously in my decision.

thanks,Matt

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i vote for Lions Heart is red!! is my preferite red dissectum ,some leaves are red /blu/violette.

3. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

I have wondered about Lionheart. I don't hear much about it. Does it take full sun? I have seen a mature specimen for sale at a local nursery. It looked mostly upright similiar to Seiryu, is yours like that?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  4. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

Also, does anyone know if any other dissectums have the yellow veins besides 'Brocade'?

5. paxi

paxi Active Member

a couple of thoughts here:

- orangeola - this is coming to me in fall. Have read good things about the sun tolerance/hardiness and uniqueness of coloration although admittedly most of the current photos in the gallery seem to be similiar to my other red dissectums

- toyama nishiki - on my 2009 wishlist (yes, I am a weirdo and have trees I am dreaming about in future years!)

- Spring delight - pics make it look like a green dissectum version of tsuma gaki. I don't know how long the red tips last however

- See this link - I know nothing about these but I notice that they are listed in the "other" category of dissectum: http://www.wildwoodmaples.com/dissectum.html

-Jeddeloh orange
    -Goshiki shidare

-Mountain maples has of course a nice tree finder depending on what coloration you are looking for what time of year- acer palmatums octopus (?!!?), flavescens, and variegatum dissectum peaked some curiousity

- I gently must ask you to reconsider the baldsmith :) I happen to like the bronze (I call it more of a pumpkin) mainly because none of my other maples show anything similar during spring. If this was the main fall color, I admit it may be a bit blah. But even if you don't care for it, in a few weeks it yields to some pretty cool combinations of green and red.

enough of my blabber and off to sleep

6. paxi

paxi Active Member

addendum: reading thru some old threads, there seems to be some controversy re: the distinctions between toyama nishiki, acer palmatum variegatum dissectum, goshiki shidare

7. 01876

01876 Active Member

Hi Matt,
    Here shows some popular Japanese dissectum cultivars (not sure if all of them are available in US)
    http://www.e-momiji.com/~e-momiji/ruiji4.htm

Enjoy the apple to apple comparison, click on the photo to see their name in English and photos in early spring, spring, summer and fall.

Good luck with your new choice.
    Joe

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i have Lions Heart in total partial shade(sun in morning),yes is uprigth,like Seryu....

9. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I am most partial to baby lace, but it is a bit different being a witches broom. Jeddeloh orange is growing on me as it has a leaf shape similar to palmatifidum or true inaba shidare but with green in the middle with orange red edges particularly on new growth. Chantilly lace is another beauty in that group but with a very finely dissected leaf rather than strap like.

10. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Hey Matt,
    I would would also suggest reconsidering 'Baldsmith', or 'Chantilly Lace', which are very similar in color and habit. The spring color on both of these is more of a pink/orange, not bronze. The inside leaves are a fresh green, so they actually accentuate the color of the rose/orange of the outside leaves. I believe that Baldsmith maintains more of the mauve/orange color on the outter leaves, while Chantilly gets more of a yellow/orange color later in the year, but that just might be due to the location of my trees. Either way, they stand out like a sore thumb against the common green and red cutleafs. Either of these cultivars deserves a place amongst other cutleafs for contrast. 'Chantilly Lace' founder claims it is one of, if not the most cold tolerant of the dissected Acer palmatums.
    Brian
    Scion Swapper

11. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

I will definitely not rule it out. Sounds like that are more hardy than some of the variegated dissectums. I will do more research looking at many pictures and trying to find out about cold and sun tolerances.

12. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

I picked up a 2nd year Irish Lace specimen last autumn. I am not a big fan of the dissectum group in general, more due to lack of unique foliage than a distaste for the form itself.

This tree, however, has been a real hit. I bought it for its fall colour, not having seen it's spring display. The spring leaves are quite lovely, with a muted blend of green and red. It doesn't look like anything else I've seen, unique, lovely shape, and a nice habit. I'd recommend it at an interesting and choice dissectum cultivar.