Identification: What is this?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Gomero, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

It is growing all over my garden and it is the first time I see it.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A fungus in the family Clavariaceae, possibly a Ramaria species.

3. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Probably Ramaria formosa. It doesn't do any harm to your garden, and it lives in co-operation with your trees. Some people eat it. I tried it and it tasted bitter. Others described it as bitter or mild. It upsets some people's stomachs. I felt it just not good enough to eat.

4. Gomero

Thank you.
    It's good to know it is harmless. In addition I find it pretty so I would leave it alone where they are (will not try it in the frying pan though).

I am curious to know why it proliferates so much this year not having seen it in the past, the only clue I may think of is that we have had normal rainfall this summer after many years with below normal.
    Also, Ramaria formosa, does it mean is not native to Western Europe?

Gomero

5. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

That's the variety that (among many others) grows locally here on Vancouver Island. I don't know whether the same species grows in the south of France. It would not surprise me. I know of other mushrooms that grow both places. Also, with world travel and non-native plants in cultivation, nothing would surprise me...... but there are many similar species in this genus.

Fungus grows under the soil as a cottony mycelium and when it is time to fruit, it produces a mushroom. It will grow anywhere there is sufficient food, water, a spore lands and can compete with local microbes. Typically, a food supply will build up over years, the fungus will become established, and over a number of years it will use up its food supply and perish...and the whole cycle starts again.

Your fungus, though, gathers nutrients and water for a tree or shrub, and gets sugars in return from it. Typically, this kind of fungus will only die with the host tree. Perhaps the tree was only recently inoculated with the cooperative fungus, or perhaps it was developing and maturing for many years before fruitiing.

6. Gomero

Fish Dr;

Thanks again for taking the time to answer. I have indeed done a Web search and found answers to all my questions. It is indeed native and there is no doubt it is a Ramaria, but I have to take a closer look to confirm formosa vs. stricta. Its presence indicates a humus rich soil which is good news to me since this is what I have trying to obtain starting from a very heavy clay base which becomes cement-like in the summer.

Gomero