What is this tree, please.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by shelleylondonhauka, Oct 26, 2020.

1. shelleylondonhauka

shelleylondonhauka Member

Have moved to a new home; don't know the garden yet; please help identify this for me. Tree is N facing, has become very leggy due to other bushes / trees taking over around and above it; leaves are beautiful colours and way up at the tips of these branches; can I whack it back to encourage better growth next year?Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think this is a shrub called 'Ninebark' Physocarpus opulifolius, probably one of the purple-leaved cultivars. I know they can grow quite large which may explain why your centre photo shows a number of branches cut back.

Here is one of many websites where you can read more: Physocarpus opulifolius - Plant Finder

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I saw one in a garden, in the Alps, and wondered if it was not a kind of Viburnum like Viburnum opulus because of the bark and the shape of the leaves : now I understand why it was called "opulifolius" ;°)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Shrub asked about is a Viburnum - most likely V. opulus. And probably V. o. var. americanum due to the long terminal lobe of the leaf, lack of comparatively large conspicuous glands on the shallowly grooved(?) leaf stalk. Stem view shows it has already been "whacked back" too many times - with a typical mature height of over 3 m this plant is just going to keep trying to be tall, regardless of cultural circumstances.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Silver surfer likes this.
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Virburnum; note the opposite leaves and branching. Ninebark may be 'opulus-leaved', but its leaves are arranged alternately, not opposite.

Tyrlych and Silver surfer like this.